SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anita55_gw

window trim photos

anita55
15 years ago

Hello all, Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful. I have been pondering this question for awhile now, and having absolutely no idea about house styles i thought I'd bring my question to you. My house was built 1993 (I'm not the original owner). It is a colonial, with a front porch that wraps around the side of the house, cedar.

You enter the front door into a 2 story foyer with a large window at the top of the front wall.

There is a great room on each side of the house, one room is a family room that is about 15 by 24 or so. The other room is the same size and we use it as a dining room/living room. In between is the kitchen, breakfast nook, powder room and a long hallway.

Ok so now for my question. Each room has 2 windows on the short front wall and two windows on the short back wall. The long wall has a fireplace and 2 more windows on either side. Not a lot of wall space here. it's been bothering me lately that the windows have no wood around them - they are just plain. Even the sills are not finished. They appear to be just painted. Can I add wood to these sills? I wonder if this was done as a style choice? Or did they not want to spend the money on trim? Are there house styles where it is appropriate to not have trim on the windows? If anyone could explain the way these choices are made and how you know what's appropriate for a particular style I would appreciate it. I hope this is not too vague a question. The way it looks now is spare and neat, but I do love the look of wood. I'm just not sure that it would be right for this house. Thanks for any insights you can give me.

The rooms with this paper has paper on the sills, ugly and not well done.

This room has bare sills, not very finished looking up close, just painted.

Comments (3)