SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyladi

Share what you have in your home that is not trendy or in style

Happyladi
15 years ago

So many threads talk about what is in and out, what is trendy or out of style. I have many things in my house that work for me that aren't in or stylish but that I like.

I have a lot of antique brass, all my doorknobs, my living room ceiling fan and fireplace screen. I have a very old crystal and antique brass light fixture in my entryway that was my husband's aunt. A lot of my tables and lamps have some antique brass. I still like it.

I have a high quality shiney brass ceiling fan in my bedroom. I know it's "out" but I think it's pretty.

I have traverse draperies and sheers in my living room that work very well. I can open them completely, just close the sheers or close them completely very easily and neatly.

I have fairly new carpet in most of my house. It's is a popular style and color but I know carpet is not in favor now. But I like it, it's soft, warm, and comfortable. I have no pets or small children so I don't have problems keeping it nice.

What about you? What do you have that is considered out? Do you still like it?

Comments (86)

• Oakley
    15 years ago

Everything in my house but it's in the process of being gutted!

Wallpaper in DR, Kitchen, and down the hallway. However, when the remodel is done, all will be painted except one large wall in DR which WILL have a gorgeous black wallpaper with large florals in it.

Formica countertop. But you know, I still like it, I love the colors you can get in formica, but I'm going with granite.

Vinyl kitchen and bathroom floors. They're beautiful, but I'm getting rid of the kitchen floor for checkerboard ceramic tile. The bathroom is the white and pink vinyl, sooo 50's and I love it. It will stay.

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

Nothing trendy or in-style here that I'm aware of. "Timeless" is the way to go, if you ask me.

• Related Discussions

What addition have you made to your home that's unique?

Q

Comments (53)
    When we moved into our Indiana lake house in 1976, there was a huge iron bell on a post in the front yard. It was original to the house, which was built in 1930. We used it to call kids home from neighbors, in from the boat, and to signal approval to the decorated boats in the July 4th Flotilla. The first picture I took in that house was my DH lifting our 4-year old son up to ring the bell. When we decided to move to Tennessee to be near (next door, in fact) to our two daughters, I insisted we take down the bell and bring it along. It took 5 men several hours to get it down, but it's here, in storage, and will be outside the kids' entrance to our new home. Can't take pics now, but maybe someday! Incidentally, when we tore down the 1930 house in 2001 and rebuilt, we used the rough-sawn cedar from the outside of the old house to line the screened porch. It took about 15 coats of paint to get it sealed and smooth enough to be interior siding. I loved reusing it!
    ...See More

Your Opinion? Are Chimney style Range Hoods Trendy

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm still sad that I couldn't get the SS chimney hood that I wanted, but the consolation is that I don't have to dust it. I had to hide an AC duct in the cabinet along with the range hood ducting, so the chimney had to get nixed. I don't see the point of trying to guess what is going to be trendy in the future. I just read in another thread that staggered cabinets look dated, and my sister just redid her kitchen that way last year and she loves it. I think it looks great, too. If someone isn't telling us what's in, what's out, and what's trendy and what's not, we'd never know the difference and we'd be happy with the things we pick because they are the things that WE LIKE. To me, the point is to enjoy it NOW, in the present.
    ...See More

Spanish style backsplash - can you share your photos?

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm only putting this in here since you're not getting other takers. This is a mock-up I did using an in-progress layout from HD and talavera tiles from a website. I liked it, but my husband wasn't a fan. The pattern would have come around to the sink wall too. Sigh. I'm into color. Here's the tile only: We may use this instead:
    ...See More

If your home were 'trendy'...

Q

Comments (39)
    Anglophilia wrote, "While my choice will almost always be traditional, I greatly appreciate good modern design. The biggest problem is the flat roofs if one lives in an area with lots of heavy snow or lots of rain. Such roofs are very quick to wear out and can be subject to leaks if not very well designed. Not sure how that is done - Virgil - others please inform!" Modern architecture developed in the early 20th century as a desire to invent an architecture which was purely functional, and was a deliberate rejection of the common and popular neoclassical and Beaux-Arts styles of architecture of the time. It drew from many new advances in technology and construction--notably large glass, steel and reinforced concrete to shape and make new, Modern forms. Modern architecture was dominant until around the 1980s when it was challenged by other "new" forms of architecture, such as Postmodernism. It remains popular today in both residential and commercial buildings. Modern architecture found its roots in Europe, where snow and heavy rain are common, but with steel and reinforced concrete the heavier roof loads posed no problem for these new materials and appropriate construction technologies. In residential and light commercial construction, where wood framing remains common, obviously the increased loads must be considered when designing and installing the various building components. You are correct, that in areas where very heavy snow loads and/or heavy rain are common, that special design and construction skill is needed. Modern architecture is not a "natural" in these areas unless they appropriately use steel and reinforced concrete to carry the additional loads. "Flat" roofs on these types of buildings are seldom actually flat. In all cases the roofs are pitched, even at a low pitch of perhaps 1:12 or so towards variously placed roof drains, backed up by strategically placed overflow scuppers in case of clogging of roof drains.
    ...See More
  • johnatemp
    15 years ago

I think my whole house is not trendy!! I pulled out fabric I've had for over 10 years and used it on my DR chairs - even sent some to Val & she liked it, too!! I have been given alot of my stuff from family members & love to dig in people's attics!!
    My house is a builder spec house - I love the setting & area but the house lacks the detail & character that I love. I also hate SS appliances - but found my ref deeply discounted & couldn't resist.

I love to look at Pottery Barn & such but it isn't me.

I like my house to look nice but money, kids, & dogs play a big role in my decisions - I will not be a slave to my house!! So no light colored upholstery(even slip covers that I would have to wash constantly - I have enough laundry!!) , rugs blend with dog hair, kids can eat a popsicle anywhere in my house, washable linens on the beds - things like that dictate my house.

Same with my clothes - I am not really a stylish person either - I try to buy the best I can afford & keep wearing it year after year. Stick with nice basics & add in something fun. Might be a Walmart coat with Coach shoes - who knows!!

Smiles:)

• patches_02
    15 years ago

What we call antiques now was trendy at one time and now what we call trendy will not last long enough to be called an antique. Just not made the same anymore.

• magnaverde
    15 years ago

Nothing is in style, and I can't tell you how much that disturbs me...

• alex9179
    15 years ago

I have to admit, I love the big sheet of mirror in bathrooms. It's so much easier to spot problems before you leave that room :) I wouldn't dream of taking those down.

I don't have anything trendy. Black appliances, big TV that takes up too much space, 10 year old cars. Wait, I do have an overlarge couch. It was such a deal (store closing) and so comfy that I couldn't resist. It doesn't fit through normal sized doorways, though, so I don't know what we'll do when we have to move. That's what I get for spontaneous furniture buying.

• User
    15 years ago

I have a 1930's house with the original bathrooms, kitchen and light fixtures.

Yep, I totally relate. My house was built in 1940, and very little has been changed or updated since then. We did put in central heat and air out of necessity, but still have a window unit in our upstairs bedroom. The same bedroom that retains its original knotty pine paneling that many a soul would have painted over in white by now, but not me. My "laundry room" consists of a washer and dryer right out in the open in the breakfast area (oh, the horror!), and I have one brief stretch of kitchen countertop with a total of one electrical outlet. I have a big ol' puffy loveseat made of pleather that's completely hideous and was actually never in style, as well as artwork and decor that's either vintage or downright funky and would definitely not appeal to a lot of people.

But it's mine; more to the point, it's totally me, and I couldn't care less about "in" or "out" when it comes to my home.

• jakabedy
    15 years ago

I love this thread! Our house is 1950s in design, but was built with a hefty dose of DIY in 1978. So even on day one, there were some choices that were just terribly wrong for the house.

1) Pressed-board cabinets with a "rancho" theme.
    2) '70s-style black and white CT floors in baths.
    3) Plate glass mirrors and hollywood lights in baths.
    4) Shiny black bathtub with a now peeling white recoating.
    5) Magnetic plexiglass storm windows(!)
    6) Appliances are a white DW and range, creamy 1950s white vintage fridge, stainless MW and an almond(!) range hood.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Taxidermy.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I don't pay much attention to trends, because the "Designer Generals" ;^P, have new "IN" & "Out" lists every season. I guess it helps them feel needed. The stores love it because they sell more things this way. It's silly, actually, and I can't buy into it.

But, what came to mind when reading this question was first and foremost, is our Christmas tree. No designer colors. No huge bows or cascading ribbons. No coordinating ornaments (all of which, let me state now, are FINE for other homes and people, just not for us). We call our tree: "The Story of Us". Every ornament our kids have made over the years is on it, proudly front & center. Every ornament we buy on our yearly "Family Trip" together is on there, no matter how kitchy or unChristmas-y. I couldn't bear to throw away the Fischer Price mobile that hung over both my kids' cribs (ten years apart), so I took off all the plastic animals and hang them on my tree, tied with colorful ribbons, for great memories. Same with the fairy slippers I sewed for my DD's first Halloween costume. Lots of photo ornaments from past Christmases. Old worn ornaments from my parent's tree hang next to gorgeous, almost-antique ornaments inherited from my grandparents, next to the first ones we bought when we got married almost 26 years ago, next to found, abandoned birds nests.
    Our tree is totally UN-trendy, messy (because we decorate it together with everyone happily trying to put their favorite ornaments in front at the same time - LOL!). It has no rhyme or reason to it . . . and it is so beautiful to us! It's the story of us and we wouldn't have it any other way :~)
    Lynn
    {{gwi:1449159}}

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

Oh Morton! I didn't even think of that. I have a huge "Taxidermy" in my stair well! I didn't think about it not be "stylish."

I'd post a picture, but I don't want to cause any heart attacks.

For the record...except for the skin that is mounted, we ate every bite of the beast. We are carnivores in this house and we wear leather.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Lynn - your christmas tree is beautiful and ours is just like it (except skinnier!). I cannot part with my kids' tree ornaments - it wouldn't be Christmas without them, so I am happy to have an "un-trendy" Christmas tree.

I have a few other things in my house that aren't too trendy that I could definitely part with if I had more time or money!

• pdg777
    15 years ago

Great, great thread! Lynne, love love love your tree! Reading this thread gave me a picture of houses when owning a house wasn't an "investment" but was a place full of wonderful memories of families down through the generations.

I have oak cabinets, laminate counter tops, hollywood lights in bathroom, wood burning fireplace with brass doors, and big old tv taking up a quarter of the living room so I can watch designer shows telling me that everything I have is hideous and needs to go. Replaced the vinyl in hallway, powder room and kitchen with one of the seven deadly sins of decorating ... LAMINATE oak floors. Love, love, love it (though I would have gotten wood if I could afford it). Vinyl in master bath is just some unique stuff that everybody loves -- looks like a pearl floor and goes with pearlized toilet seat and pearlized accessories so it works for me!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

WHAT? Not trendy, gasp! All of you?? faint. plop. ;) Me neither. Our house was built in 1923 and we have renoveted it ourselves over the years and tried to stay true to the house. Which meant no ceiling fans no huge addition no great rooms etc.My look is vintage cottagey comfy stuff- old lady kicks a$$ - eclectic is what I call it- no style some others might say- surrounded by family heirlooms and interesting- to us- vintage items. A few pieces of furniture are true antique heirlooms we will hand down to our children, the rest is from CL, Crumpton and treasure hunting at thrift shops.I have old linen table cloths, napkins and tea towels and doilies - on my kitchen shelves in glass cabinet one or two here and there and dresser scarves( don't use) I really don't like buying new stuff anymore- no stories to them.
    I do have un- trendy WTs of cascades and jabots that I bought a few years ago and are too $$$ to replace. I also made 2 sets for my LR. I am eying those for possible replacement.
    The most untrendy things:
    I have a very expensive 12 light brass chandelier williamsburg style that my Dad bought for our dining room, 3 years before he died in 2000. I put shades on it to try to update it. It stays.
    Also- I admit I have wallpaper in the dining room- That has been up for over 20 years and we still love it.My bedroom has wallpaper and an -OMG- border - My DH really likes it so it stays. My bathroom- we have only one- so untrendy has wallpaper and a border too but that will be changed.
    My kitchen is newly updated stainless and granite- but in my way ( still not quite done) but -it -has -no -tile backsplach! In fact- there is no tile in the house!
    We also have a family Christmas tree- very much like Lynns-it is meaningful to our family- it has generations of ornaments and memories. When our kids have their own homes and get their own trees we will divide them up.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Polished brass Williamsburg chandeliers and sconces,and 18th century furniture reproductions that still have some style and proper proportions (as opposed to the hideous cross-breed behemoths so often found in furniture stores now).

I don't care whether my furnishings are currently in vogue, to me they are classic throughout all time.

Could not believe an HGTV "designer" who took one of these gorgeous polished brass chandeliers, looked at it with wrinkled nose and declared it outdated, then spraypainted it black as an "improvement."

• teacats
    15 years ago

And now:

THE EVIL SIDESHOW:

"Hurry, Hurry, Hurry Folks!!" -- SEE the shocking display of non-trendy items throughout this non-trendy house in the non-trendy area"

The crowd of ultra-chic, well-dressed designers seem skeptical but after some debate about where to buy their post-viewing latte-mocha-no-fat-foam-drink-of-the-moment -- they decide to see the show first .....

The crowd shuffles forward ...... staring at the bright brass fixtures and hardware ....... ((its like watching a horrific accident -- you simply can't look away!! said one Bright Young Thing grasping at her cashmere scarf))

Shocked -- they slowly move on to all of the faux flowers and greenery ..... (("how can she have those things??" they whisper to each other ..... while other HIGH-trendy types snicker and say "After all -- one simply calls on one's Best Floral Designer friend to whip up a few creations each week ......"))

Still further on .... at the threshold of the tiny kitchen they halt in front of simple white appliances, the white painted cabinets that have no hardware and then the "gasp" WHITE TILE COUNTERS ..... one decorator faints away at the sight ..... ((WHAT -- no granite! no soapstone! no trendy coffeemaker for one cup! no stainless!! WHAT kind of people live here??? Heads swivel to try and see all of the decorating disasters))

Indeed -- WHAT kind of people just installed LAMINATE faux wood flooring?? the crowd looks down at their fancy footwear -- and shudders at the thought of their trendy toes on such a floor ......

"I can't stand it" screamed one decorator while running for the door "its too MUCH for my ultra-HIGH-trendy soul!"

"Wait ...... " whispers the evil old crone standing by the door "You haven't seen the READING MATERIAL in the BATHROOM!!!!"

Evil manical laughter follows ......

• elizgonz
    15 years ago

Knotty pine panelling.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I really have no idea what is trendy or not in my house--since I pretty much buy what I like regardless of what the current designers have to say. I have filled my LR/DR with antique because that is what we could afford. I notice some of today's "trends" are really just reproduction furniture--how many of today's DR sets have Chippendale style chairs? I honestly get better decorating advice here than from any decorator, magazine, home show, etc. We also have a Christmas tree much like Lynne's as well as a nativity set made by nuns in India where some of the pieces have been broken and patched back together. Every year our kid's make a stable for it out of painted cardboard and that is displayed in a place of honor--as is their handmade advent wreath.

It seems to me that trends come in cycles--the suits my mom wore, I could've worn in my 20's and would still look good today. 60's clothing has come back with the low cut waistbands and so many pop songs on the radio are just remakes from my teens. The trick is to figure out which items are fads and which are destined to become classics.

• User
    15 years ago

LOL @ Teacats!!!

:-D

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

ROFLMAO, Jan!
    Yes, they probably would turn their noses up at some of our things, but we're the ones that live in these (beautiful, warm, cozy, practical, homey and inviting) rooms day in and out. . . and it sounds as if we're the happy, satisfied ones ;^P
    Lynn

• mjjones453
    15 years ago

I think that most of what I have in my home is not trendy or in style. I like country primitive style. That said, I live in a 1970's ranch. I have dark walnut paneling in my family room that has a rustic look. I tend to love it. Others might think that it is very out dated. I also have the blue tub, and blue tile in my bathrooms, finally got rid of the Blue toilets, and sinks. Another item is the bathroom swag lights! I like them even though they are out of date, and some might find them hideous! It's kind of funny that I like primative, but yet live in a ranch house. Some may say it doesn't really work, but I am trying to make it work! So I am not as primative as I'd like. But what I have is very homey! I would be very happy with out the blue's!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

OMG Teacats that was a close one! almost spit out my diet coke onto my laptop!
    Mind if I embellish a tad? ... the "painfully thin" Bright Young Thing grasping her cashmere scarf and "teetering on her stilettos". There! that should do it! LOL

• User
    15 years ago

How about, the painfully thin Bright Young Thing grasping her cashmere scarf and teetering on her Manolos?

Oh, wait. Manolos are probably passe' by now.

;-)

• suero
    15 years ago

When I remodeled my kitchen some 15 or so years ago, I was surprised to discover, as I watched the original (1964) Goodbye Charlie movie, that my kitchen looked a lot like the one in the film. When I had some contractors in to give me an estimate for an addition (not the kitchen) a couple of years ago, they thought that the kitchen looked like it had been done recently. Plus ca change...
    I'm not into trendy, but every so often, my style meshes with what's happening.

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

"and big old tv taking up a quarter of the living room so I can watch designer shows telling me that everything I have is hideous and needs to go"

ROFLMAO!

Yup, me too... I got yer Hollywood lites in not one but TWO bathrooms (both will be the very last things to be updated in this house), I got yer polished brass - everywhere! I got yer circa 1990 brass and white ceiling fans. And yeah, I'll change some of that stuff sooner or later. But there's no way I'm changing out the polished brass hardware through out just for it to come back "in" ;-p

As for furnishings, I was brought up with a healthy respect for antiques and classics. My grandmother (an interior decorator) NEVER went trendy and rarely changed her furnishings over the years. Oh, and yeah, lucky us, we inherited it all ;-)

• valzone5
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Seriously. And yes, he's holding a gun(for hunting purposes) :O)

It was my grandfather's - my mom made it for him.

• Lisa Hayes
    15 years ago

valzone5--That little guy is taking me back to when I was in high school, I made my BF (who is now DH) a football player that is the same little guy. If could find it, it would be about 34 years old. OMG--I really am old. I have no idea what happened to him.

• littledog
    15 years ago

"I like country primitive style..."

Heh heh heh. I got yer Country Primitive right here...

The most obvious would be the late 80's, early 90's matching camel back couch and loveseat dominating the tiny living room. (clean, comfortable, and free; perfect) You half expect to see one of those foxhunting prints hanging somewhere, but instead, we have a dart board behind the door and a magnificent deer mount in the corner surveying the entire room. Currently, you'll also find the only artificial flowers I will put up in my home; two irresistibly tacky swags over the windows featuring fall leaves and lovely autumn colored flowers. When they come down sometime this week, we won't be seeing any more faux flora until the Christmas tree springs forth fully grown from the box.

Or how about the (almost looks like the real thing if you squint except, um, not really) brick print wallboard behind the big, boxy Atlanta Homesteader wood burning stove. The stove was actually much nicer before a badly tossed log knocked out the glass window and emergency repairs consisted of a piece of solid sheet metal that we *still* haven't got around to replacing. Just above the stove, there's the found-on-a-walk-in-the-woods deer skull (I'm seeing a pattern here...) hanging just above the ever so practical cement board that has been magically suspended in mid air to the left of the stove. This is what is known as a PoBoy's woodstove installation job. (Otherwise, the old Homesteader might set the entire house on fire.)

Or we could talk about the *real* reason we are keeping two cats prisoner in the kitchen this winter; we're using the back porch (one day to be remodeled into a cozy eating area) as a makeshift tool shed and feed room. No, really. On any given day, you will find almost a 1/4 ton of sacked feed stacked back there along with an assortment of halters, lead ropes, leashes, buckets, brushes, power tools, drill bits, saw blades, a couple dozen cans of paint, and a washing machine. Add the excitement of a bouncing mouse about once every couple of weeks, and you can understand the feline lockup.

Now that my friends, is rustic.

• valzone5
    15 years ago

love2weed - our house was full of ceramics when I was growing up. Mom went "to ceramics" once per week. Anything that could be ceramic was ceramic, in our house. I had the whole Holly Hobby set - in orange and yellow of course - clock, lamp, etc. It all matched my orange Holly Hobby wallpaper beautifully.

• Lisa Hayes
    15 years ago

valzone5--My neice who is now thirty-five, had the sweetest little Holly Hobbie room, in fact her name is Holly. I used to have several items made of ceramic, but the only thing left if a very large set of Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus. I do not put them out anymore, but all three of my kids want the set. They seem really tacky now, but they hold sentimental value to the kids. They were out every Christmas for years when they were small enough to still believe in Santa. I'd really like to go ahead a give the set to one of the three. Two have a home of their own and the youngest is still in college. I think I'll probably have to draw straws. Who knows maybe I'll drag the things out again.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

auntjen oh man, stilettos are untrendy too right? LOL I should have added my shoes are way untrendy!

• zipdee
    15 years ago

*LOL* Jan! :)

I just put in a kitchen that has a 1948 stove, a Hoosier cabinet as my pantry and metal edged Formica countertops and have booths in my eating area .. yes .. I'm a real trend setter! ;)

I also 'make' my girls share a room which seems to be very un trendy right now. I've had a lot of people IRL say how they should each have their own room, they have no privacy and how their kids would kill each other if they were 'forced' to share a room. They have the whole upstairs to spread out in, it's not like they are sharing the closet under the stairs with Harry Potter ??? Plus they actually do love each other and enjoy being together.

I've committed a lot trend faux pas. I buy what I like, what appeals to me and what makes me happy. I also do what works the best for my family whether it be trendy or not.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

Valzone, my mom had a ceramic shop when I was growing up and I made tons of those, they are just so cute!!!

The main thing in my home that is not trendy or in style is my glass shower doors. Beyond the brass trim, the glass is permanently etched and looks so much older than it actually is. I do have a plan to remove it, I just can't seem to pick out a tile to use. There are just too many choices and I only want to do it once.

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

Yep, my mom and I "went to ceramics" when I was a kid too. I remember those little people very well. You knew someone was really artistic if they could make the eyes look good. :)

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

My mom always charged people to do the eyes - no one wanted to do their own. I think the going rate was around $1.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

I just came upon the most untrendy and unstylish item of all!!!

I made the HUGE mistake of attempting to put away my son's laundry. We put down a bunch of hardwood floors last weekend, and everything was looking so nice and pretty and then I opened his dresser drawer . . .

• ronniroo
    15 years ago

I don't know if we have anything in our home that is "trendy"- well, except the plasma tv, haha. Check out my builder's oak kitchen with matching dining room table:

or, my trophy display of moose head:

HAHA, my husband loves his moose.

~~Veronica

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

Daisyadair - that is such a funny post!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Just built our house last year - I love oak, have Cider oak Merillat cabinets (cherry and hickory were too $$$, hate white laminate, I put it in the kids' bath b/c I thought it would be easier to clean, it's already coming apart). Laminate countertops. Shiny brass door hardware and DR chandy (builder chose it, I'm looking for something else but have 3 sconces in DR and 1 on the stairs, 3 lights in foyer and 2 in upstairs hall that probably should all match since they're all shiny brass now). WTW carpet except in the DR. Oak DR set. Oak coffee and end tables in the FR (with new microfiber sleeper and LS). Pine baseboard and trim everywhere. Our (only!) TV is about 10 years old, we bought it to replace the floor cabinet one we had b4 that. We did get a converter box so hopefully we'll be able to watch it after mid-Feb (though converter box only gets 3 channels, might need outdoor antenna instead of rabbit ears). And I plan on putting border in all 3 bedrooms and the kids' bath, maybe master bath too. Oh, and we have ceiling fans in all 3 bedrooms, study, and FR. This is our 1st house with CAC, we always depended on fans in other houses so put them in this one too. Nice not to have to run the AC unless it's really sticky outside.

• shea
    15 years ago

LOL Daisy!! As a mother of boys, I have seen the likes of that, and worse! When we started to run low on glasses in the cupboard, I knew where I could find a slew of them! At least your son has them out of sight in a drawer. LOL!!

What do I have that is not trendy? Well, brass doorknobs and a huge polished brass chandelier in the foyer. Silk flowers and houseplants. I do not have a green thumb and decided a few years ago to quit killing all my houseplants and just buy silk. But they are very high quality fake plants. LOL!

I just redid the guest room and got rid of the matching draperies and comforter that had been there for 20 years. Have taken down wallpaper in recent years, but still have it in the laundry room and one bathroom. Shudder to think of removing more wallpaper and getting that glue off the walls, but will probably get to it next year sometime.

• jrmom
    15 years ago

Lynn I love your Christmas tree. Ours is the same every year....ornaments with meaning from vacations and that the kids had made, every year we laugh about certain ornaments when we put them on the tree. One was of my now 20 year old son, who was in preschool when they took his picture for an ornament. In the picture he has a scab on his nose and his forehead. I rember when he got the scab, he told me that "my nose was stuck to the carpet", and he went face first across then new basement berber carpet, resulting in a rug burn on his face.

Well every year we get that ornament out and laugh as we make him put it on the tree and ask him if his nose was stuck on the carpet and have a great laugh. I love all those ornaments, and will have trouble parting with them when they move out and have families of their own.

• anntique
    15 years ago

I have 1940's furniture in my living room and dining room. A mahogany dresser fitted with a granite top sits in the foyer to collect keys in a vintage pressed glass bowl. The foyer lamp is a vintage venetian glass table lamp with a marble base. My computer desk is an old mahogany library table, and my writing desk is more than 200 years old. I keep the surfaces as spare as possible, and mix antiques and more contemporary pieces to keep it from looking too old. I'm definately anything but trendy, but to be fair, when I look at trendier homes I sometimes think they look very nice and comfortable, and wonder if I'm doing it all wrong.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

mannnnnnnnn
    I was hoping for more photos! It is so much more fun to see photos of everything.Daiseyadair that was hilarious. As a mother of 3 kids I found that all the time. What was behind the beds when you moved them? LOL kids are such creative little pigs!
    elizgonz I have those knotty pine panel walls everywhere and I refuse to replace with drywall. I did paint them a lighter color and I love them. Not trendy at all unless I paineted them white, which I did not do (they are a tannish)
    Here is a photo before I finished painting.
    {{!gwi}}

• johnmari
    15 years ago

Spitfire, pretty much my entire family is like that, very frugal Yankees. Furniture, rugs, lamps, etc. were/are only replaced when they get too ratty and worn-out to keep using, or broke and couldn't be repaired. Grandparents grew up in the Great Depression - both sets of grandparents married when the men came back from WWII, saved up and built modest houses around 1950. Pretty much everyone in the family just didn't have the money to be redecorating just because something was no longer considered "stylish". So a bedroom might still have 50-year-old wallpaper on the walls because it wasn't scraped or gouged or badly faded, so there wasn't any point in buying new paper. Although I do remember both grandmothers having very up-to-the-minute-for-1950 bathrooms, one had the robin's-egg blue fixtures complete with the metal-legged console sink and matching tile and the other had goldenrod yellow fixtures, but neither one would have dreamed of remodeling just to change the colors even though the style mavens considered them outright horrible thirty years later.

I think a lot of it rubbed off on me, because I see little point (for me) in my decor having to constantly be "fresh" and "updated", it simply doesn't matter to me - I would just like to get things finished and be able to go on to other things to spend my money on. ;-) Practicality also trumps style in a big way in our house. We recently purchased a sectional (wow, brand new furniture, woowoo, but I'd been watching CL for quite a while to no avail) for the most effective use of space in our small, awkwardly-designed living room and I chuckled at the saleslady's comment that although of course you could still BUY them, sectionals were very "out", and we really should be getting a sofa-and-loveseat... even though that's what we were getting RID of because it wasted precious space! (DH and I bicker lovingly over the corner spot. Wonderful place to nest with lots of pillows and a warm blanket.)

ljwrar, I would do any number of horrible things :-) for the kind of original features in your house, since my ca. 1900 house was almost completely stripped. Treasure them! If you replace the original light fixtures, wrap them well in acid-free paper, box them up carefully, and store them for a future owner to put back if they wish.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Daisyadair, I think it is quite tidy of him to put his mess all in one drawer. He probably intends to take it down to the kitchen as soon as it's full. LOL.

• blanche65
    15 years ago

Breuer chairs? They must be out of style by now, but I will never give them up. I was a student when I bought them. (I was so excited, can still remember.) At the very least, I can use them as spares.

I decorated my first apartment to look like a Conran's catalog. Somewhere along the line, things changed and I fell behind but stuck with my choices a while longer. It was very hard work to find a new style and I did it very gradually.

• User
    15 years ago

Well, let's see, there's the kitchen, with 5, count 'em 5, different lighting fixtures in the ceiling, 4 different counter top surfaces (if you could the temporary plywood gracing the island as a surface), shiny brass, wrought iron, some sort of silver color and brushed brass cab pulls on the mish mosh of painted (2 different colors!), cherry, maple, pine and vintage metal cabinets. I should add we have a stainless dw (for that hated restaurant look), a white fridge and a hulking old range.

Then there's the DR, which is really the game room, it holds a pool table, an air hockey table and not much else, well, except the foam thingie that goes under your sleeping bag when you go camping and is now the cushion for the window seat.

And of course there's our outre upstairs, 2 bedrooms (yuppers, we built a 2 bedroom house, ye gawds, the resale) with a family bathroom. I'm not sure how we manage, but 2 adults and 1 kiddo actually share a bathroom that's positioned between the bedrooms, with access from each. Not to mention our overly germified state, what with the reading material, box of Kleenex and hooks that hold robes all residing in there. It's a wonder we haven't all died of pooponic plague.

And we'll stop our little tacky tour with the den, where we have a TV, but don't have cable. We get 5, maybe 6 channels (2 from Canada) and none of them, mercifully, have decorating shows where painfully thin, over dyed and under talented 20 somethings tell you what you should want. (What, me, opinionated?)

sandyponder

• bella_on
    15 years ago

I love my hanging angel lights in my bathroom, the light
    is amazing for doing make-up and finding stray hairs. Not
    so crazy on the veined mirror tiles or the purple veined white tiles on the wall (all this thanks to previous owner). This bathroom is our next project....I am thinking beadboard on the walls, with a vintage type flooring, new counter and paint existing cupboards to save a bit of money. My older son who loves contemporary (in his own home) will horrified if I keep the angel lights lol.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Just found this thread....

daisyadair....I cracked up! I wish my teenage son were so "neat" with his dirty dishes/cans/glasses...or my pre-teen daughter for that matter! I have to go through the bedrooms, LR, & DR with the kids a couple of times a week to get them to clean up after themselves (I refuse to do it for them, they need to learn!)

We have the good old "washed oak" cabinets in our upstairs bathrooms (hall & MBA) w/cultured marble counters, big mirrors, and ugly lights above...love the mirrors...and they will probably stay if we ever remodel (Kitchen was first, then college, then bathrooms!)

We also have 3 big bookcases crammed with (mostly my) books & no knick-knacks...books are stacked 2-deep & use the entire shelf space!

Then there's the brass hardware everywhere except the Kitchen, the hollow 6-panel doors, the wall-to-wall carpet everywhere except Kitchen, Foyer, & Baths.

The "Winnie-the-Pooh" border and (*gasp*) stickups in what used to be my DD's room and is now the Guest Room! (My DD doesn't want me to take them down, so I won't for a while yet.)

Oh, and the brass lamps in the FR & LR....

Sheesh, never thought about it before...but then, I haven't been a slave to fashion or trends since my late-twenties/early thirties...I like what I like and if others don't, that's too bad...I live here!

Lynne...I love your tree! I think it looks wonderful! Our tree is full of a combination kids ornaments (yes, front & center, sometimes much to their chagrin!), ornaments I made while I was growing up when money was very tight, gifts from my kids & others, and Hallmark (very untrendy, I'm sure!). We have a few of the standard balls & whatnot b/c my DH likes them, but I've never liked them...I always like home made & "things" (like the bears, rocking horses, and miscellaneous ones that "mean" something to us).

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

It's easier for me to show pictures than to try to explain my decor. LOL! Whimsical and Fun and stuff I can't part with.

Visit My Photos - 39 Pics

{{!gwi}}

House