SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charley526

Living Room decor/color help please!

charley526
13 years ago

I'm hoping to get opinions & suggestions for my LR. I know I need toss pillows and accessories, some art work. The fireplace wall is in the works, it'll soon have marble tile & mantle. I do have furniture that is not in the photos, but they need to be slipcovered -an ottoman & 2 upholstered chairs flanking the fireplace. I lean towards earthy colors. I have professional sewing skills (I can make anything!)but I'm totally stuck on what colors & fabrics to choose! The pics were tricky to take, it's an odd space.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Charley

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (43)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

For the chairs I would using matching patterned fabrics for both that incorporate rust and gray, perhaps in a large, not too realistic floral pattern or something more geometric. I'm not sure that an ottoman would be best for this space and personally would choose a rectangular chronic and glass coffee table. Yes, you can still put your feet up, we do it all the time. If it has two tiers all the better; you can put book and magazines and remotes on the bottom tier to give a warm, informal look which is also useful. On the top you can have some beautiful accessories, although not too much (so you'll still have room for the feet).

The lighting scheme directly over the fireplace is not terribly attractive. Overall your space is quite beautiful and I love the color and style of the drapes and the wood floor and carpet. Perhaps you could find pillows for the sofa that include the rust color of the drapes. One or two small tables near the chairs to park drinks etc. would complete that area nicely. Lamps would be nice too but I don't know how you'd manage the electrical cords. I would place at least four paintings or other artwork in the alcove where the chair and small table are to give some depth and richness to that area. A small area rug would also add some warmth and texture. Perhaps you could also put your ottoman in front of the chair there if it's not too large.

Good luck with your beautiful space. You have good bones to work with and that's always the best start.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to reply ingrid! You mentioned rust and gray; the couch is green, does that make a difference?
    Yes, ideally I would have a glass coffee table in the future.(not in our budget at this time) I have 3 kids under 7 and for now, it will have to be a cocktail ottoman.
    I hate the light fixture over the fireplace! Not much I can do about it now... :(
    I have floor outlets in front of the 2 columns so table lamps could work but cords would run under the rug hmmm....

I'm having a really hard time finding pillows for the sofa and fabric for my chairs that need slipcovers! A decorator friend suggested this Bosporus fabric for pillows.{{!gwi}} The colors ARE a perfect match, but my sister thinks it looks "old lady" so that ruined it for me.
    Did you mean a rug in front of the double windows? I think I like that idea.
    Thanks for the complement on the rust drapes, I made them :)

Charley

• Related Discussions

living room decorating help please!!!

Q

Comments (9)
    I'll start by saying I love all the colors you have and the patterns. However, I think there may be too many colors. Orange, Red and Teal are all very strong colors and for me it's just too much going on. I would choose between the red or the orange for starters. I'm also having a hard time seeing the camel color walls with the gray couch. I might go with a soft gray for the walls - keeping things cool in palette - and solid color drapes with a hint of pattern. Depending on how much you are using the orange/red and teal would determine if I moved it over to the drapes. Just my two cents... maybe someone else with have thoughts on the camel color and gray! Sure looks like it will be a fun room!
    ...See More

Decorating my formal living room. Photos inside please help.

Q

Comments (7)
    I agree with Cawaps. Your choices are lovely and would look good, but I wouldn't call it a "farmhouse" style at all. Most of the farmhouses I have been to, (I live in a rural area) have huge old overstuffed furniture, emphasis "colonial." Comfy but hardly chic. But that is purely semantics, I love your choices so go for it. However, I too have a tiny living room and I don't have a center coffee table, and do not miss it. One of my chairs has an ottoman which I could put a tray on, but never do. I keep my books in a basket next to the chair and my magazines in a basketweave tray with sides under the couch. I have some collapseable TV trays I could set up if I ever wanted to serve any food in there, but since my living room is next to the dining room, that's not likely. I have side tables for the inevitable cup of tea or wine. Get a gorgeous rug to "tie the room together" and use the side tables and get some kind of ottoman for the chair. You can get ones that open up for storage too, they are great!
    ...See More

Help please decorating small living room

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't know what your new couches look like, but this traditional look could work well. I must say I love the curtains -- and yes you can use a big pattern in a small room. https://www.wayfair.com/window-treatments/pdp/winston-porter-holton-graphic-print-text-semi-sheer-rod-pocket-single-curtain-panel-wnpr1296.html?piid=21607112 https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/august-grove-rachael-72-tv-stand-atgr2033.html https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/beachcrest-home-tala-rectangular-coffee-table-bchh9243.html
    ...See More

Help me decorate Dining/Living Room please

Q

Comments (82)
    Soft Stream By Rikki Drotar Also under this listing They might agree to a larger size on canvas https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/swifting-through-motion,2399237/?s=D4zJ51pGVOmzcrFaoVNRJ4twq0ttSaG6RJBlhPL36WCmvFEjI1M2Xf1TipjCwk
    ...See More
  • nanny2a
    13 years ago

Don't say that Bosporus toile is "old lady", our friend Sheesharee will disagree. She's in her 20's and just chose it for her bedroom pillows. In all truth, Bosporous toile has become a very popular decor fabric for all ages, and is very much in vogue these days. If the colors work so well with your color scheme, I say go for it!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do like the bosporus. It was my sister's comment that turned me off. I'm keeping it as an option but still hoping to find a floral.
    Charley

• teacats
    13 years ago

Check out the site -- fabricguru.com!

There may be some ideas for fabrics there .....

Here's a link to a great inspiration website -- lots of photos for shapes of cushions ....

I vote for a long single cushion on the sofa -- and another one on the darker chair in the corner ....

Just a thought -- have you considered adding a ottoman or long bench in front of the sofa? And perhaps pull the dark chair up to the sofa/seating area?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoebe Howard website -- inspiration photos

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The rug has greens, navy, rusty brown, ochre yellow, cream and an interesting pattern.
    {{!gwi}}

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I think you should bring in some blue. Have a look at Calaico Corners website. I would also bring in a little dark brown to ancher the room. Also add some mirror and crystle for a little bling.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link teacats. I have a bunch of pillow possibilities from different fabric websites in my favorites folder. I'll post some later when I get a chance.

caminnc: thank you for the suggestions! Gorgeous fabrics! Love Calico Corners.

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Here's a gorgeous, linen-blend fabric from Calico Corners that you might like with your window panels. I love this fabric, and am making kitchen window treatments and throw pillows for my living room with it.

It's much prettier "in person" and has just enough blue in it to go beautifully with my blue ware.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benita Multi

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Just wanted to ask if you made your drapery panels? They're lovely. :)

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bird lover6: Yes! I did make them. Thank you :))

• les917
    13 years ago

Maybe something like this for your upholstered chairs?

calima navy

Then a subtle plaid or stripe that pulls in the colors for pillows for the couch, and perhaps one on the chair.

Would love to see a table or cabinet or bookcase behind the couch, with the couch pulled forward of the pillars, and a lamp on that table.

I would also move the wall decor to the right of the curtains, and put it on the wall to the left of the curtains on the other side of the fireplace. It is fighting with the sconce there. Move the small lighthouse pix there instead.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks les917. The calima fabric is interesting, I think I'll try photoshopping (sp?) that in.

I do want a lamp for the table. But I don't know what style I like & have no clue how to pick one out!! Any suggestions on size, scale, color?
    I don't think there is enough room behind the sofa for a console...I do usually keep the back of the sofa in line w/the pillars, my kids must have moved it when i took this photo ;) View from front door:
    {{!gwi}}

13 years ago

Charley, your rug is gorgeous and, now that I see the navy in it, you could incorporate that into your color scheme, since it would go very well with your greenish couch and rust curtains. The two fabrics shown (I'm not able to see the one that's in the link) are very pretty but strike me as being too busy and traditional for what so far I see as a rather clean-lined look. Yes, I did mean another rug in the area where you have the chair, which should incorporate the colors you already have as the main tones. Perhaps overall it could be a bit darker than the rug you already have, with more rust in it, since it will be closer to the curtains. With small children a glass table would not be wise but a padded bench might be a good idea, one that is long enough so that people on the sofa and chairs could use it in place of a coffee table. I like some of the patterns camminnc has shown. The vertically shown rust material with the gold pattern might be great for a bench (or even the ottoman) with maybe the blue at the bottom for the chairs, or something similar.

I've taken the liberty of posting some pictures of my living room since I sense our styles may be somewhat similar. I hope it's somewhat helpful to you.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ingrid: thank you for showing me your pics, you have a lovely home.
    The idea of bringing in navy blue is growing on me, off to look at more fabrics!
    Charley

• loribee
    13 years ago

Great bones...pretty furniture, gorgeous drapes and lovely rug, too! Do you like these tapestry pillow covers?

Here is a link that might be useful: PB tapestry pillow covers

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks loribee! I like the pillows as shown, but I think they may be too brown for my room...
    other opinions?

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What do you think about this burlap table set?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Designs Table

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I keep coming back to look at your rooms Ingrid! Do you mind telling me where you got your pillows?

13 years ago

Charley, the pillows actually came with the sofa and love seat. We had a great local furniture store (sadly no longer in business) and they gave us a choice of fabric and style of pillow to go with the furniture. Had we bought them separately I think they would have been rather pricey. They're very large and soft and the fabric is really nice.

I really like the pillow loribee presented; it has the kind of stylized flower design that I think would look good in your room but the ground color does look a bit dark. Perhaps you could find something similar elsewhere or use this kind of pattern for the chairs or ottoman.

• jendoeshair
    13 years ago

Instead of adding extra throw pillows how about recovering the existing pillow backs on the sofa in some of the beautiful fabrics suggested. Maybe do the two outside in one fabric and the middle in a different add some beautiful welting. Carry one of the fabrics over to a rectangular pillow on the chair.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jendoshare: that's an interesting idea...I have seen that couch displayed online w/contrasting cushions. I'll try to find it. I thought my green couch fabric was too difficult to find a coordinate.
    The couch and maybe the rug will be replaced in about 5 years, when my kids are a little older. So I am trying to stick to some quick & relatively inexpensive changes.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, if anyone is following me, and if you could possibly tolerate looking at the following pics.....These are the 2 chairs & ottoman that will be slipcovered (very fitted & tailored) The room shrinks once all the furniture is in it!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• teacats
    13 years ago

The newest furniture looks wonderful! The two chairs are such a neat size for the space! Can't wait to see the pieces with your slipcovers!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you teacats! I was hoping to get them covered before Thankgiving. :o Finding the right fabrics is so difficult for me!! And it doesn't help that every other room in this house needs attention!

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

That gray sort of velour looking chair is AMAZING! I love that. Will look awesome when it's recovered (actually I think it looks awesome now too).

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The chairs are sooo comfortable! My in-laws gave them to us, they're over 40 years old! Now that I see the photos, my couch looks like it's on steroids compared to the chairs. LOL

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm having a hard time finding a navy I like. But I did find these that I like. What do you think?

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• loribee
    13 years ago

I LOVE the coral fabric...looks like my sitting/dr drape fabric! The chairs are darling, BTW.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks loribee! I'm thinking of the sage for the couch & maybe ottoman slipcovers and the floral as toss pillows.

• msrose
    13 years ago

When you say you're thinking about the sage for the couch, are you talking about pillows or recovering your couch? I love your couch and even though I normally like accent pillows, I liked it better in your 1st picture without them. I think the coral fabric would be beautiful on the chairs.

Laurie

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was thinking of a full slipcover for the couch in the sage.
    So you like the coral as the chair slipcover, or as pillows for the chairs?

• msrose
    13 years ago

I like the coral as a chair slipcover. Isn't the couch already a sage color or is it just my monitor? It's perfect like it is and I wouldn't change a thing.

Laurie

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was considering covering it because I'm tired of looking at the same couch for the past 15 years...but I'm not committed to slipcovering it.
    Then what do you think about the sage for the ottoman? Or should I keep looking?
    I like the Calico fabrics posted above but they cost more than what I want to spend.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Charley

Lovely home & LR

I am peaking into ? sitting room - are there 2 matching bergere style chairs in there? hmmmm - can you put them flanking the FP in close to the hearth

Try one of the 2 chairs you just brought in by the window to balance out that area - corner where the plant is sitting.

I think your choices are lovely coral - sage, but not sure together & with the rug - the rug is reading gold toned with sage, navy accents - & I think it may fight your fabric choices. The current ottoman just blends right into the rug - so light fabric choices may do the same.

I would rec obtaining samples placing them in the room before making decisions about fabrics. Thanksgiving is just a week away - that is a huge undertaking to be doing all this upholstering by then. In the rush you may make hasty decisions that don't necessarily work. If you plan to re-do the sofa - I would choose that fabric first - although it looks in good condition & picks up on the green in the rug. Perhaps some nice throw pillows with navy there.

Some quick random picks -

http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=215412

http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=218082

http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=274742&page=

Is this room used as a daily family room for TV watching, will everyone be in there?

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Is this room used as a daily family room for TV watching, will everyone be in there?"
    Yes!
    My new goal is to have this done by Spring ;)

I have to run out right now, but I'll check out those fabrics & move some chairs around later.
    Thanks!!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is how the fabric looks in the room. These are fabrics that I can get at a nearby fabric outlet(for great prices!). I didn't have time to check out everything there, but I brought these home.
    The floral on the left is actually the same shade of terracotta as my drapes(Not really "coral").

Any and all opinions are appreciated!

{{!gwi}}

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I realize that picture is not helpful, too much going on, I see it now. I'm having an Interior Decorator come over for a consult because I clearly don't know what I'm doing, LOL!
    I can't wait to see what she comes up with!!
    Stay tuned!

• loribee
    13 years ago

Confused...so the couch in sage and the floral (one of them) for the chairs and otto? I'd probably do the otto in the sage to match the couch.
    I love both of the florals, if that helps~

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I posted the pic just to show what they look like in the room. I'm confused too!LOL! I really don't know what to put where, hence a professional decorator! I know I def. don't like that navy anymore. These aren't fabrics that I'm committed to...I'm still looking.

• torsade
    13 years ago

The fabric on the left, on the chair, is amazing! What does it look like with your sofa?

• torsade
    13 years ago

The fabric on the left, on the chair, is amazing! What does it look like with your sofa?

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love love love that fabric! It's called "Damsel" in Ginger. Looks awesome on the couch against the green (to my eyes). The flowers are actually sage and camel tones. If I end up not using it in this room, it's going in my bedroom as accent pillows!