SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

layout for review

young-gardener
9 years ago

We could use some feedback on our kitchen plan. Many thanks to all of you who've helped me get this far!!

For reference:

We are a family of three, with number 4 due in a few weeks. Our son is 1 1/2. We plan to be in this home for a while (and are just preparing to move into it.)

In terms of room structure, the plan reflects the addition of three new windows. On the wall to the right of the range is a doorway to the laundry room.

We don't have a typical "enter through the kitchen" house as our garage is in the basement and the stairs don't lead into the kitchen. On that note, I want to avoid any "drop zones." If we need one, it will be out of the kitchen (mud space in basement or laundry room adjacent if DH needs an upstairs spot).

I'll attach a rough map of the parts of the house nearest the kitchen, to give you an idea of the flow. (Please ignore my chicken scratch measurement notes. We're making some changes so the wall numbers aren't right on there like they are on the kitchen plan. I was just too lazy to draw up a clean copy.)

Layout notes:

I'm planning to store everyday dishes in the hutch directly across from the dishwasher for easy unloading. DW is on the end so it's closest to where we will enter with dirty dishes.

Pots/pans will go in the units on each side of the range.

Sink is shown as a double with an offset sink but will not be set up that way. I've considered having the sink cabinet pulled out a smidge.

Baking zone is to the left of the fridge and will be pulled out to 30" deep. I'm planning to make the base cabinet to the left of fridge drawers instead of pullouts, even though I love the look of the doors. Obviously, there's a spacing issue going on with the open shelves, so I need to have that addressed.

Stools for my little helpers will be stored under the baking table.

Uppers have taken on extra depth as well (15" for the single cabinet and 18" for the hutch toppers).

Knobs and pulls were just randomly assigned by the designer who put the plan into the program. Same goes for the counters.

There is a pantry just inside the laundry room, and we will have about 6 feet of cabinetry/counter in there, as well, dedicated to "now & then" kitchen stuff.

Additional Issues to think on:

DH thinks we should combine the two windows on the left (large one and one on left of range) and have just one.

He also thinks I should flip flop the baking zone and hutch. I explained the functionality behind why I put them where they are, but he said, "It's only a few steps." He feels that the lowered baking table will just be a desk and so it should be near the breakfast room. I can't stand having desk space in my kitchen, so I'd like to avoid anything that would invite that. ;)

Thoughts on design, flow/functionality, the above issues, or others?

Comments (12)