SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

How to size a dining room table to the room?

dakota01
12 years ago

My new dining room is 12L X 11W. One end of the room has a wide entry to the FR. Though, I don't want the table or chairs to lap into the FR. The other end has a double window.

My last dining set was oval and it fit very well, but my china cupboard was very large and took over the room. So, I recently sold the set and purchased (but not yet delivered) a new set. Rather than oval, I went w/a rectangle, I guess I just wanted something "different". Though, oval is very pretty.

The table is a refectory and is 80 long w/o extension and 40 wide. I did order 4 matching and 2 different chairs.

The furniture salesman scaled it out and said, yes it will fit. Now, I'm worrying that an 80L table will take over my room, just like my old chinacupboard did.

I did buy a china cupboard, but it is alot smaller scale than my old one. So it will fit fine.

They do have a smaller refectory table (same grouping) that is 54L w/o extensions, but it's only 36 wide. I thought being 36 would really limit how much "food" you can place on the table when dining.

I only use the dining room "for company"...LOL

Do you think I went overboard on the size of the table? Is is "bigger" really better?

Comments (5)