SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baseballmom94_gw

Low-cost Teen Hang-out Ideas Needed

baseballmom94
13 years ago

We have a bonus room on the main level which has a pool table and TV area. This bonus room is the teen hangout for my 16 year old son and 13 year old daughter, however, it doesn't have a lot of extra room to spread out -- when both of my kids have friends over, it would be nice to have another space.

Our basement is currently unfinished but I would like to create a low-cost space in the basement for the kids to hang out, watch tv, play video games nd for the existing ping pong table, however, I don't want to spend a lot of money. The ceilings are 8 feet or less in the basement (DH didn't want to spend money on higher ceilings since we did the bonus room instead). Anyway, we've painted the concrete floor with sand beige concrete paint so it looks good and is dust-free. The walls are cement block but are covered with insulation from the builder. I think that the insulation should stay on the walls, is this correct? We have kicked around some different ideas such as having the ceiling pipes spray painted white and then just framing the walls and installing painted beadboard or drywall and molding. Then we would just place a large area rug over the concrete floor. We also have some chairs and a tv we can put down there. I'm looking for ideas of how others have done this type of minimal refinishing of a basement space. Since we have a large house with a family room and a bonus room for the kids on the main level, we don't want to sink $30-50,000 into a basement like our neighbors are doing...especially when our homes have already decreased in value and our kids will only be home for 5 more years. Any ideas for a cheap but cool basement finishing that will be fun for teens?

Comments (10)