SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

KAW: electric griddle / rice cooker Indian Style

User
13 years ago

I had a head of cauliflower that I wanted to use and thus was born the curry dinner tonight. I almost always cook "backwards" these past couple years. This means I have something I want to use and I start from there rather than making a trip to the store . It keeps the larder emptier, which I like to do so I can rotate through things , and it makes me be more creative with the ingredients I have on hand.

I made a cauliflower curry first . I then decided to use some cucumber that I had been given ( same folks that gave me the luscious tomatoes) and made a raita . This is a type of salad with cucumber and yogurt. I make it a little spicy but it cools the palate with the hotter curries. DH said he wanted a chicken dish so that was next. I then asked him if he would like to make roti....these are a pancake that is similar to a crepe. We used semolina and yogurt for these. I had my homemade peach chutney on hand from last summer.

I made Basmati rice in the electric rice cooker. Mine is OLD OLD and was my MIL's. It still works great. If frees up the stove top and cooks perfect rice every time. DH used the electric griddle. It is also OLD...still works great and again frees up the stove top for the curry cookin' and also opens up and uses the other work areas. Here are pics...

griddle and rice cooker in action:

roti half done:

done:

rice finished:

chicken curry:

cauliflower curry:( deep pot to prevent splatter from mustard seeds/oil) :

plated with the peach chutney and raita ( 7 and 6 o'clock):

Comments (5)