SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Moldings are such a pain: how do I handle them please?

aliris19
11 years ago

I know, having finished, sort of, my kitchen, I'm banned to other forums... but they never answer me there! I love it heeere... can I stay please?

Here's my question. I'm trying to build some cabinetry into spaces that abut various doors and room openings with fairly ludicrously rococo moldings. These have given me mucho problems before; some may recall this? But they're here to stay, 3 5/8"w and 5/8"d, incl that piece that goes inside the doorway (sorry, I don't have the right language). [That is, the molding is actually 3 1/4" wide and then there's another 3/8" stuck around the door frame but that makes for an effective 3 5/8" molding; just using those measurements the width of the door, though "standard", would be less than the full, standard 32"].

The problem is I want to maximize drawer space and often build out into the space encroached on by the molding. If a drawer pulls out past the molding, it would have to either be cut shorter to go around that 5/8"depth, or cut the molding away I think. And so, the former option, shortening the drawers, renders less drawer volume. The latter option, probably looks stupid [does it?]; at least it is stupid from an aesthetic standpoint - why go to the trouble of putting all that goop up if you're just going to butcher it away in parts.

So is there some standard way to deal with this? In fact as I write, I sort of realize you've got to bite the bullet and take the shortened drawers, right? Cutting away molding must really just look stupid, always ... right? Except: this molding (perhaps all), seems to have components; there's a clear break 3/4 of an inch in that could be cut away without destroying the lines of the molding....

What would you do? I mean - I bet someone's done everything out there. But what would you do if you were trying not to perpetrate a hack job; what would be the "right" thing please?

TIA :)

Comments (9)