SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smokinbarn

Placing Fridge in Pantry?

smokinbarn
14 years ago

I am putting a new kitchen in the parlor floor of a 19th century rowhouse; a gut reno. I have a two year old Fisher and Paykel fridge left from an upstairs rental, and I am seriously considering putting the fridge in a pantry and buying undercounter fridge drawers for the working kitchen, in order to gain 30 inches of counter space. If I have a full height fridge in the kitchen, I will need counter depth (or at least close to CD) and integrated panels. I'm basically looking at Subzero and Liebherr 30" bottom freezer models. I've been spoiled by an integrated SZ 611 and can't picture seeing a big stainless or while fridge in the high-ceilinged space, visible from the dining area. Even on ebay the prices are so high and I might still need back up refrigeration in the pantry. We will not have access to the basement and there is no garage, mudroom, etc, for another fridge or freezer. We are a family of three (one teenager) in a very urban setting with access to a lot of nearby food shopping. But when company comes from out of town, sometimes we have 5 houseguests at a time. The pantry will be at least 10 feet away from the working side of the kitchen, accessed via the dining room or the connecting hallway to the living room. The kitchen will be one wall 14 feet long for range/cooktop and wall oven and fridge drawers, with a parallel island containing the sink and dishwasher and trash. I've had lots of counterspace for the past ten years and guess I'm anxious about having enough. We seem to grow clutter and always need more clear space for prep. Do you have experience with a layout like this or know someone who has? Your insight would be appreciated. I know you will say that it is not the best layout for resell, but we plan to stay put for quite a while if we can and the next owners can always put the fridge where they want it. I would post a floorplan if I knew how. Thank you for any input.

Comments (10)