SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elptacek

Cheer me up? I need to see the bright side of being almost done.

byzantine
9 years ago

Greetings, all. So far we're in the very last home stretch of our remodel. The part where our GC has vanished into the reeds, leaving me alone to find tile (this is harder than I imagined). An occasional worker has showed up at an average about once every 2 weeks, worked for half a day (often screwing things up such that I'll have to redo it when they've gone). We've spent well over 120K on a 10'x20' space, excluding appliances, and I really expected better than this.

First, the good: Capital Culinarian range is nothing short of incredible. On simmer, it melts butter slowly and evenly without browning it. On high, see below. Kohler farmhouse sink with foot pedals and a pull-out trash next to it is heaven for prep work. The Samsung 4-door refrigerator is so big that after 4 $300 visits to the market, we still haven't filled it up. There's a huge stock pot full of pork bones on the stove, 5lbs of pig skin cooking in the circulator, 4 beef tongues cooling on the counter waiting to be peeled and turned into tamales.

The range is not level. A piece of our counter isn't secure. There are gaps in between the cabinets and the floor. The trim doesn't match and the parts of the house that were ripped up that are not directly in the kitchen are still unpainted and untrimmed. Half our outlets and all of our lights are unfinished, some sprouting large wires like hairs from uncle Frank's ears. We can't use the range at full capacity because the range hood vent is just laying in our attic and not vented out of our roof, so there is a risk of a grease fire. Even if the hood wasn't flashing and beeping maniacally, as it appears to have some sort of short that makes it go bananas. Large pieces of stucco are missing from the exterior of the house, the yard is a mess of weeds and chunks of wood, concrete and other assorted pieces of construction debris. The third bay of our garage is crammed full of cartons that might be empty or might contain materials we need. The cabinet doors aren't level with each other, there's a tube running from our furnace (dehumidifer?) into our basement sink, which is now leaking water onto the floor. The entire basement is covered with sheet metal screws, sharp bits of metal and wire and reeks of mold. Seriously, I found an old picture of our squat rack before this started, and just marveled at how clean it was. We need someone to come with a high pressure hose to recover our basement.

I could easily write a paragraph 4x as long as above about all the stuff that is either unfinished or was done wrong, but that one was already too long to read. I knew before we started that things wouldn't go perfectly and I'd really rather focus on how much better things are now than they were... I know that there's always compromises, and that I'll feel a great deal better when the tile's up, the last check is written and my dog can use the back yard again.

Have I gone crazy?

Comments (11)