SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Random and Conflicting Advice re: trends.

palimpsest
13 years ago

In the Decorating thread I posted a ramble about a new house I may be moving to that is really a blank slate compared to the emphatic Greek Revival I live in now. So, as I lie awake at night thinking about renovation and what might work in a house I don't even own yet, ( I am one of those people), I started to think of how to create something that doesn't have too much of a trend-imprint on it. So, here are some random and conflicting ideas:

1/Do what *everybody is doing. Contrary to popular believe white subway tile has not always been a classic choice. Ask someone who was trying to repair or replace subway tile 20 years ago. That said, now that it is having its renaissance as a popular choice it *will be classic because the 1st generation as well as the 2nd generation will be out there in some quantity.

2/Do what *nobody is doing. If you have a house built between say 1936 and 1988, put in a glass block shower if you feel like it. It might be d----, but it might look like a well preserved original.

3/Spend too much money to change it in the future. You may be willing to live with your xyz wood cabinets if you spent 1/10th of you salary on the paneled Subzero. Bright brass door hardware might not look so old hat if it is $100 a crack Baldwin vs. $10 Kwikset.

4/Buy cheap enough to change it if you really tire of it. Don't buy a purple Scavolini kitchen if you are one of those fickle people who's tired of something before the paint is dry. If you want purple, buy a purple laminate countertop (yes they still produce it). In a few years cough up $1000 for your latest color romance. Then you won't end up in here asking about a cheap way to update $50K cabinets.

What else?

Comments (16)