SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenfromknoxville

If you are going to have your granite tested for Radon....

karenfromknoxville
15 years ago

Hi,

At the risk of prolonging this discussion, if you are going to spend the time and money to have your granite tested for Randon/Radiation, have your air and water tested as well. I would bet there are more carcinogens and toxins in the air and water.

Don't have your water tested by your water company but by an independent lab. And if you think you've avoided those toxins by drinking bottled water, there is some 12 syllable chemical that is in plastic bottles (water bottles and baby bottles), plastic wrap and take out containers that causes cancer.

The air is full of toxins. Being originally from New Jersey, I'm no stranger to air and water pollution (has anyone been on the Northern part of the NJ Turnpike?!!). But when I clean my air filters, I am amazed at the gunk that is in the air and that I'm breathing.

If you want to be health conscious and try to avoid anything that causes cancer, good luck. There is an issue on the dose of radiation from Mammograms and whether the radiation from the mammogram is more harmful then the cancer they are suppose to detect. Drinking soy milk is suppose to aid in the prevention of breast cancer. Yet, there is a chemical in most soy products that can lead to cancer (Carrageenan). I recently had a cat die from a type of cancer that is cause by the vaccinations given annually for FELV and Rabies.

Although I try to eat mostly vegetarian and organic, the recall on Spinach hit the organic as well as the conventional. The list of what I won't eat or drink is getting longer then things I do. I'm about to join the ranks of other germophobes like Howard Hughes, Michael Jackson and Howir Mandel (although I will still shake hands).

My point of all this is before you spend the money and panic over your granite, look at all the other things that cause cancer. I am not minimizing the risk of radon or the ugliness of cancer (I have spent way too much time at Sloan Kettering), but let's keep this in perspective.

I'm sure my spelling may be off in places and I can't say or spell all those 12 syllable names for chemicals, additives or preservatives that cause cancer, but here is what I reccomend:

Vassar College in partnership with the Center for Environmental Oncology of the University of Pittsburg Cancer Institute have produced a CD which is available for free (http://erbc.vassar.edu). It documents the Environmental Risks and Breast Cancer (I know Breast Cancer is only 1 type of cancer but most of the evidence suggests the potential for the development of other types of cancer as well). This CD includes scientific evidence addressing the potential risks of contraceptives, cosmetics, plastics, radiation, air and water pollutants, cleaning products, industrial chemicals, pesticides, and metals.

If you go thru this CD, you will find other hazardous materials in your home. Not all have had a New York Times article written about them. Although I'm not a big fan of anything that causes cancer, we need to keep this granite thing in perspective.

My 2 cents worth!

Karen

Comments (14)