SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatcoat2004

Please, someone, give me patience.

flatcoat2004
15 years ago

Because I am nearly out. I was so frustrated last night when I got home that I screamed. I actually screamed.

The new guy I hired to finish Jailbird Contractor's project seems fast and conscientious, but is MESSY and THOUGHTLESS. He leaves the dishwasher and the range smack dab in the middle of the kitchen so everyone has to squeeze around them, rather than just putting them back in place. I would be OK with that if it was overnight, but he is off on a four-day golf vacation, leaving me with no temporary countertop, a kitchen and bathroom strewn with appliances, fixtures, sawdust and tools (some his, some Jailbird Contractor's). Still no water or gas in the kitchen ... at least I have some lights now, I guess. The deck outside the kitchen is FILLED with his tools, to the point where I can't get through it to get to the yard. Or my gas grill, which is the only way I can cook. And to top it all off, I asked him to install the locks on my French doors, which he must have done, but now I can't unlock them ! I guess no grilling for me this weekend :-(

The hard part is that I am getting flashes of what the kitchen will be, and it is wonderful. How efficient and pleasureable it will be to work and live in. How fantastic it will be not to have to wash vegetables in the bathroom sink, walk them back to the kitchen, chop them very unsafely on top of the uninstalled dishwasher, take the stairs through the basement and out through the yard to the deck to get to the grill, cook dinner (and make several trips back through the basement into the kitchen for forgotten ingredients), trip over tools and various trash ..... No-one will appreciate a working kitchen more than I will when it is done.

I am sick of taking "vacation days" from work to try to organise for my poor house to be fixed. I am sick of workers not showing up when they say they will. I am sick of living in sawdust and grout and filth. I'm sick of eating out because I have no alternative.

Oh yeah, yesterday new contractor discovered major plumbing snafu that old contractor had made in the bathroom. Looks like I get to pay to get that fixed too. Hopefully that can be done by cutting through drywall in the adjoining room, rather than going through tile and 1" of mud that Jailbird Contractor insisted on using. Argh.

Please someone give me their patience. Long-awaited soapstone is due for install next Wednesday. Be patient, be patient, be patient .... ommmmmm, ommmmmm, ommmmmmm .....

Thank you for listening to me rant. I'm just having a pity party this morning :-(

Comments (10)