SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chocolatebunny_gw

Vent - why doesn't anyone want my business? : (

chocolatebunny
13 years ago

Pardon me, but I just need to vent.

I have said in previous posts that I am not making over or changing my entire kitchen, just updating it a bit. I would like to get new countertops and (most likely) a new backsplash.

I would also like to replace the desk with a cabinet. I would like it to match the other cabinets I have, as there is one above it, so I looked into having it custom made (also because I want it to be the same size as the desk).

So I had one company come out (on recommendation of a friend that just redid her enitre kitchen) and he gave me a price on new cabient + countertops + backsplash. Since his quote came back as too much for us to do all at once, I asked if I could get a price for just the cabinet and he said they wouldn't take such a small job. OK....

I had a second company come out and price out the same things, but this time I was very clear that I need the prices broken down as I will not be able to do everything at once. The price for the cabinet was approx. $800 (including a laminate top) but if I wanted to have them do just the cabinet it would be closer to $900, because, again, it's a small job.

I walked into a kitchen/bath/cabinet store yesterday to get a price on laminate countertops (nothing about the cabinet) and as soon as I walked in the guy tried talking me into quartz. Since I know about how much the quartz costs, I really needed the price on laminate. He reluctantly took my plans and said he would "get back to me".

Am I doing something wrong in all of this???? I am sorry this is not a "big remodel" for these businesses but I would think they would want the business anyway. I am not expecting people to kiss my arse, but I feel like I am being brushed off a bit.

If I am doing something wrong I will certainly change my approach. If I was handier I would build the darn cabinet and install the countertops myself!

Thanks.

Comments (15)