SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Stainless steel counters - how do they look after use?

kaysd
11 years ago

We are planning on using White Macaubas for our counters. Cabinets are slab with walnut veneer, while fridge & freezer columns, range & wall ovens are stainless. Floors are a stone look porcelain in shades of cream and gray (Emil's Keystone in iron). We will need just over 2 slabs if we do all the counters in WM. If we buy 3 slabs, there will be a lot of waste of an expensive stone. I will have to use the same material for our bathroom counter & there will still be waste.

The back wall of the kitchen (separate from any other cabinet/counter runs) has 3' of counter on each side of the range, with fridge and freezer colums on the ends. My KD suggested using stainless steel counters in this area, so we will only need 2 slabs of WM for the rest of the kitchen. I had mentioned the option of using a gray or black stone in that area, but she suggested SS to avoid introducing another random material in the space. I think SS counters would look good and appropriate next to the SS range in the cooking zone, but worry how they will look after a little use.

So, after that long introduction, the question is how do SS counters look when they are not new? DH tells me the SS counters in restaurant kitchens look terrible because the material scratches so easily. We always use cutting boards, but a child or guest could make a mistake. DH is concerned just putting down a pan or bag of groceries could scratch the counters. Keeping the counters covered with a large cutting board or trivet all the time defeats the sleek look I am trying for with this kitchen. If you have SS counters, please tell me how they look with use.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022