SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamelah_gw

A funny and tragic kitchen remodel

pamelah
13 years ago

As thanks for the useful posts on this forum, I want to share a story from my past to make you feel better about any troubles you encounter in your kitchen remodel.

Flash back 16 years ago. I was divorced, living alone, 41 years old, and I had just finished 90% of the extensive remodel, inside and out, of my home. Sitting at the kitchen bar, with a glass of good wine and my trusty tablet of graph paper, I sketched the final thing that needed to be done to complete my home  the kitchen!

The phone rang. When I answered I was surprised to hear it was my long lost love from college. OK, tell me that wouldnÂt have thrilled you a littleÂ

This old flame proceeded to tell me that he had thought of me often, to which I replied, "If you are ever in the area, please come by." He asked what I was doing and I told him I was designing my kitchen. He said, "I could do that for you. You know, you were so special in my life, I would love to do that for you." OK, tell me that wouldnÂt have flattered you a little.

I thanked him for his kind offer, but told him the remodel had to wait until I had saved some more money. I was tapped out from all that I had done. More nice words were exchanged, then we said goodbye.

Three weeks later he showed up unannounced at my door stating he had come for a little visit. I was taken aback, but feeling like I had nothing to risk I offered him my guest room. When I left for work the following morning I gave him a map of nearby attractions and wished him a good day.

I arrived home that evening, hit the garage door opener, and was shocked to find my garage filled to the rafters with debris. Picking my way thru the mess I entered my kitchen to find that it was GONE. Down to the studs. Flooring had been removed. Plaster dust had spread about ¼" thick throughout my home because Mr. Good Intentions had not masked off the area from the rest of the house. My pots, pans, dishes, and dry goods were lined in little dusty stacks down the walls of the adjoining rooms.

There he stood, covered in plaster dust, crowbar in hand, looking very proud of himself. It was at that moment that I remembered why I had broken up with him 20 years earlier. The man had no impulse control.

OK, this is a long story. There are a lot of other "funny like a train wreck" details that I could share, but this is a kitchen forum. So, let me end it by telling you that you would be surprised how fast you can plan a kitchen when you need a kitchen, you can do the job for much less money if you have less to spend, and finally  never think twice about those old lost loves. They are "lost" for a reason.

Comments (19)