SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houseful_gw

Dealing with Dishonest Subcontractor

12 years ago

In a nutshell, had to do kitchen in two stages since new kitchen butted up to old kitchen. It was the cabinet subs idea to write each stage up separately. No contract on second stage, just written quote. Both quotes were to be for cabinets AND countertops.

Now the framing and drywall are finished for the second part. Call sub and we finalize order. I called granite sub to tell him we are almost ready and that I would like to be there for the layout. No problem there.

Cabs get delivered and I call cab sub to tell him oven cabinet box is damaged, but cabinet might still be ok. He comes out the next day (July 13) and says just let him know if there is damage and we'll order new. Then he says, "are you wanting to pay with one of the two cards you used before?" I said no and that we would probably pay cash. Red flag? Probably.

So I am still waiting for glass doors, and countertops and I find out yesterday when my DH was paying bills that the cab sub charged our card for what looks to be the full amount on July 15! No phone call letting me know or to ask how I have decided to pay!?! Yes, we owe him money, but not in full!

Then my DH tells me that since we had no contract and technically we had two separate orders, it was illegal for this guy to even keep my CC information. Might be a fine line there, but I will bring this up to him.

Anyway, I was livid! CC company wants us to try to work with him first before they pursue any type of fraud. It's a good thing he didn't answer the phone yesterday because I am not sure I could have been very diplomatic about this. I have had time to cool off and think about what I want to say. I did hear the delivery man say to the sub on the phone, "we need to talk about my getting some pay here soon!" My ears perked up, but I figured that was none of my business. Haven't decided if I am going to mention this to him or not.

It's times like this that I wish I wasn't raised right. I would so love to post his information all over the internet and warn people about this guy. There were other little things along the way that happened, so really this is just the proverbial straw!

I have dealt with dozens of subcontractors over the years and this is only the second time I have been ready to call the ROC. The first time turned out fine, but I am not so sure about this one. I have also read some of your stories, and compared to some, $1600 isn't much

But here I am up at 4:00 am, and he's probably sound asleep unaware that I just might be his biggest nightmare! (That's a joke...sort of)!

Comments (15)