SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shead

Honest house/materials vs Dishonest house/materials

shead
4 years ago

I see the terms "honest" and "dishonest" thrown around a lot on these boards in regards to a particular house style or materials and finishes used in home construction. It has caused me to question what is really and truly meant by those terms and are they even applicable to a house style or a particular material/architectural detail. Are the terms somewhat ambiguous and subject to interpretation?

So, I'm asking you, fellow Houzzers, what do these terms mean to you? What particular architectural styles and features (i.e., faux beams, stamped concrete, crown molding, etc.) do you see as "dishonest"? What does an honest house then look like? Not necessarily specifically, but what general characteristics does it have or not have? How does one evaluate if a house is honest or not? Are we all doomed to hell if our homes are found to be "dishonest" by the "Houzz god" (okay, I kid on that one....maybe)? And finally, is any "dishonesty" permissible, in your opinion, and if so, in what ways?

I don't want this to turn into a debate but just a general exchange of ideas between professionals and laymen. I'm genuinely curious and some recent comments about "honesty" have caused me to question some design choices I'm about to make.

Comments (95)