SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Off topic but need custom bedroom cabinet feedback

texasgal47
10 years ago

I am going to have two free standing mobile night stands (23h x 18w x 18d) made to go on either side of a bed. These units will have a bottom file drawer with a narrow utility drawer above. A wall cabinet (42h x 24w x 12d) will be mounted about 30" above each night stand with a framed mirror covering the empty space between the night stand below and the wall cabinet above for each side. A bridge will connect the two wall cabinets above the bed. There is only 27" between the bed and the wall on each side so this unit will span wall to wall.
All components of this little project are to be maple painted white. I've been muddling over who should build them. Here are the issues:
1. I like the construction quality and factory finish of Conestoga cabinets and have a bid from Cabinet Authority. However, they're rta and I would have to assemble them myself with no experience or pay the installer to do so. Also, the night stands are a modification of one of their base cabinets which is a file drawer. I'm wondering how well that change will translate in real life.
2. I have seen the work of a custom cabinet group in my area and know their build quality would be fine. They should return with the best bid since nothing is being shipped from out of state. It's the finish I'm wondering about. They would be doing a catalyzed conversion varnish. I'm just wondering if their paint finish would hold up as well as the factory finish by Conestoga.
3. A store that sells custom Amish furniture here in Houston will be giving me a bid. They too would do a catalyzed conversion varnish. I have the same question about the finish as in #2.
Anyway, I'm wondering what suggestions or additional thoughts you might have.

Comments (2)