SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
witgirl

Between a Rock and a Hard Place - literally!

witgirl
10 years ago

We are at the tail end of a much longer than anticipated kitchen renovation. We are about 90% done, but all of these annoying issues keep coming up which continue to dog this project - including this biggie: when the tile setter was putting in our backsplash, he dropped his heavy metal trowel with serrated teeth on our at-that-time-unblemished new Danby Imperial marble countertop which I hunted down over the course of two weeks. The trowel left a perfectly patterned row of smallish divots in the countertop. The "bruise" as my GC likes to call it, is about 10 inches long and has about 10 or so 1/8 inch size holes in a row. Now for the question: would you have torn out, at the expense of your contractor (who has acknowledged full responsibility), the entire countertop for this reason? The contractor is telling me that he has consulted with the "top" marble repair guys in my area - one of which came to the house to see the damage - who are telling him there is no way to fix the marble and have it look "good". So the GC is saying I should go back to the drawing board to pick out another slab which will be installed on his dime (and he tells us frankly that he is going to lose money on our kitchen - but still offers to cover this redo because he wants to do the right thing and get more work from us down the road). Factors I am considering right now in my decision about what to do are (1) we have been without our kitchen for 10 weeks, (2) we will be without a kitchen even longer if we have to get a new slab installed, (3) the pin holes aren't *that* noticeable, but I kinda wanted to put the first scratch in, and not have that *honor* stolen by another person, (4) common sense tells me it is ridiculously wasteful to get rid of 17 feet of otherwise perfectly fine marble because of a 10 inch line of pinholes which are noticeable, but not that bad, (5) imagine the damage to the cabinetry, backsplash and potential other things that could happen during the removal, (6) I dont really want to spend more hours trying to find this marble, (7) I love this slab. (8) I am not convinced that the GC has exercised all reasonable options about repairing the marble. One other thing I thought about was whether we could go "halv-sies" on this mistake with the GC - meaning instead of ripping out the top, just rehone/repair to make it look as good as possible, and live with it that way since there will eventually be any number of scratches and other dings on the countertop. We could negotiate with the GC for some more work done on our money pit elsewhere, or even get money off our final bill. So I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this issue - it is truly an internal battle at this point, weighing the beauty of an unscathed stone against all the things I mentioned about. Thanks for reading.

Comments (14)