SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklekitty_gw

Hardware help - using two different finishes or styles?

sparklekitty
13 years ago

I know this renovation is getting to me - I can't even pick out the cabinet hardware. I have two different cabinet finishes - natural red birch and painted white-ish (BM dove wing) and am thinking of two different hardware finishes (and even different handle styles.) I would really appreciate feedback and suggestions for a handle style.

The house is from the early 1900's, shingle style, but not super fancy. We are completing a gut renovation and all the door hardware is ORB. I am happy with ORB and think it will look great with the white cabinets, but the contrast isn't what I want on the red birch, which has great grain and I would prefer hardware that would blend, not stand out. The finishes that look the best are "antique nickel" or pewter (though all pewter I find is rustic looking), polished nickel (but I think it is too glittery for the style of cabinet) and brushed nickel which is very nice, but not my favorite. I have looked at too many knobs to count, but here are my style preferences.

RH Emphram - simple, seems OK for period. Best choice for now and nearly definite in ORB on white cabinets.

RH Bistro - I like, but too thick at center, a little too styled for kitchen

RH Dakota - I like the style, but too rustic. I like that it is not too thick and the point it connects to the cabinet is "mounted" on something, versus just terminating straight in the cabinet

Amerock Mulholland - I like these but the mount points are too square/mission for what I think we should have

So, hardware recommendations, something not too think or thin, but can increase thickness toward center (just not as much as the RH Bistro) that has a increase in thickness when it connects to the cabinet, but not too square where it mounts. Not too rustic, mission or styled/"fancy", like the Bistro.

Antique nickle finish a plus, but satin nickel will do.

AND - thoughts on different hardware on different areas of cabinets. I have two cabinet finishes, two counters (island quartzite and perimeter pietra), and looking into two handles. Ack...

Here is photo of the kitchen that shows the Red birch and the white cabinets that are set off from one another (though cabinet style is the same.)

Thanks for responding to this obsessive message (and not judging :) The album below shows some of the handles "attached" with that blue tacky putty. That stuff is great to see if a handle works, though it doesn't hold the handles too long...

Here is a link that might be useful: Album of cabinet & hardware photos

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida