SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seaduck_gw

staining/finishing mahogany countertops

seaduck
12 years ago

We are installing mahogany countertops in parts of our kitchen project -- a bar, a countertop, a rarely used lavatory. Not super-high use.

Based on advice from this forum, we decided that Waterlox is the way to go, and our contractor agrees. Our cabinetmaker found some gorgeous mahogany, and we feel that we need to 'honor' it.

Our first sample was gloss Waterlox, with no stain. Too shiny for our taste, and the wood is too light, though you can see the graining and -- I don't know the proper term -- the iridescence of the wood, which is beautiful....lots of depth to it.

We have just received a sample, with two coats of satin-finish Waterlox that was stained. I happened to have a wood sample for a chair to use for a match. The color looks OK, very close but maybe slightly more orange. The stain was added to the Waterlox.

But I'm disappointed in it, tho' I'm not sure how to express why. The depth of the wood seems gone...that iridescent quality is lost. It has a satin sheen but the overall effect is flat.

We have antique mahog furniture in the house. The finishes vary, but generally speaking I'm hoping for a traditional look in the countertops that will match that.

Any suggestions on what we should ask for? Is the problem in adding the stain to the WL instead of staining and then doing the WL?

I haven't yet talked directly to the guy who did this sample: husband talked to clerk who talked to expert...I'm going to try to talk directly to expert, but I'm not sure what I should ask for.

I confess I've cross-posted with the Woodworking forum...I'm hoping for some advice as soon as possible as the contractor is pushing for decisions. Grateful for any advice!!!

Comments (12)