SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

decision time: custom vs. semi custom cabs...

babushka_cat
13 years ago

thanks all for providing feedback on my cabinet selection saga for my small vintage kitchen. the sale ends on the semi custom line on 9-june, i need to make a decision and get back to the sales rep. have been grappling with which cabinetry to purchase - custom or semi custom.

1. semi custom quote from omega/dynasty: $10,300. The pro's: more affordable than custom, really like the KD I am working with at shop. Con's: i don't love any of the white paint colors (one is too white, one too tan - i want to use the BM White Dove I used for my trim), may not maximize storage in small kitchen, installation costs higher due to more pieces to install

2. custom: got three quotes. the company i prefer came in at $13,470. this does not include painting which would be another ~$2500 (they do not do finishing, would be a separate vendor). Pro's: maximizes storage space, can select exactly what i want for cabinetry features and get the exact paint color i want. Con's: higher cost, already over budget. Can offset this to some extent in that install costs will be reduced as less pieces to install (exact number TBD, guessing reduction of ~1K, pending input from GC).

3. i ruled out the semi-custom cabs with custom paint option as it is coming in right around custom cabs so might as well go custom if i go that route

Conclusion: I am leaning heavily towards the custom cabs assuming install costs are reduced by the GC and i paint them myself. can't afford to go this route and pay for them to be painted too so it seems like the best compromise. while i do not love painting, i have the space to do it, can take my time to do it right and think i prefer a more natural look vs. the highly sprayed and super slick look.

Am i crazy to consider painting these custom cabs myself?

Any other things i should be considering?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths