SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwerner_gw

Final layout advice ? (long...)

lwerner
11 years ago

Hi guys,

The structural engineer is almost done with my house plans, so I need to have a finalized kitchen plan to include in the submission to the city. I got some advice here a month or two ago and moved things around, but I thought I'd get one more round of feedback. Especially I keep doing more research and finding more toys, er, I mean essential equipment, that I might want. The "Will I have to walk too far" thread started by lavender_lass also made me think a bit.

There are two layouts that are my favorites. Here's the final one my architect proposed, after I got some feedback here on the forum and steered him away from his original proposal:

From Kitchen plans

(a2gemini: I admit it, I stole your countertops! They didn't come out as nice in SketchUp as in your photos, though.)

The things I like about the plan above are:

1) All the prep and cooking stuff is at one end of the kitchen: cooktop, ovens, prep sink, fridge, and pantry (the door you can see the edge of at the far right).

1.5) That means I can take things out of the fridge or pantry and pop them right into the speed oven.

2) From the dining area (off to the left) there's a clean view of the kitchen, with nothing on that left wall blocking the view.

But the things I don't like are:

1) The big stainless steel box of a refrigerator will be highly visible from the main living area, which is basically everything to the right of the island. Using a counter-depth fridge will minimize its impact a bit, but it's still quite a lot of stainless steel, especially with the ovens right next to it.

2) There's no separate baking area. That doesn't matter right now since I live by myself, but hopefully I'll find a S.O. one of these days and then it may be a bit crowded on the right-hand end of the kitchen.

The other layout I like, which was mostly suggested by buehl here on the forum, is:

From Kitchen plans

The pros of this one are:

1) Moving the ovens creates a separate baking area on the left end of the island.

2) Moving the oven also frees up enough space on that wall for an integrated fridge with panels to match the cabinets, getting rid of the giant stainless steel box.

3) Even with a wider fridge, this layout has about 9" of extra space on either side of the cooktop, or even more if I go with an 18" freezer column instead of a 24".

4) It looks a bit more balanced visually, with one of the tall appliances on each end of the L.

The cons are:

1) If the oven is on that left wall it sticks out into the dining area a bit. The dining area is at a 45 degree angle on that side. Here's an overhead view. Yes, I like weird, modern floor plans.

2) The speed oven / microwave is no longer right next to the fridge, so popping leftovers into the nuker requires walking 10 whole steps. I'm not sure if this would bother me. My current kitchen is so small that this sort of thing is a non-issue, so I'm not sure if it would really bother me or not. I suppose I could also put a drawer microwave in the island, but that feels like serious overkill. (Then again, this whole house is serious overkill for a single person.)

Does anyone have suggestions, feedback, catcalls, or anything else to offer?

Thanks!

Laura

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert