SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laxsupermom

Real life soapstone test - water, lemon, ketchup

laxsupermom
14 years ago

So there's been a lot of discussion recently regarding soapstone and durability and ease of maintenance. I've stated before that soapstone is super easy in my experience and have stressed the need to test specific slabs under consideration. I know words only mean so much, so here's my real world test.

I hadn't oiled my soapstone counters since just before Easter. Here's my peninsula pre-test.

I placed my test subjects on last night. I used a glass full of ice water for plenty of condensation, a half-cut lemon, and a big glob of ketchup.

I waited a full day later. The ice has fully melted and left a big puddle of condensate. The lemon is less yummy looking. The ketchup blob is a bit solid on top.

Test subjects removed and moisture removed with a microfiber cloth.

I figured I might as well oil the counter and take a pic of it freshly oiled.

I am the only one in my family who would consider babying any surface in this whole darn house. As a matter of fact, when I pulled out the camera this evening to take the post-test pic my DH asked what I was doing. I explained about my test and he said, "Oh, I was wondering about that - I thought DS1 made that mess." Really? And you just left it there?!

Varieties of soapstone vary widely in hardness, etc. Mine is Black Venata from M. Texeira, but even varieties labeled the same might behave differently like nomorebluekitchen's Minas vs. pluckymama's Minas.

Hope this experiment helped anyone looking into it. I hope others join in - including those who do get waterspots.

Comments (22)