SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enright5

Anyone used Home Depot??

enright5
11 years ago

Has anyone used Home Depot for cabinets, counter tops, sinks& faucets?

I have spent hours researching cabinets locally and found Home Depot had Thomasville at a better price than my local kitchen dealer. I woiuld have preferred to buy locally but when we're talking about a significant savings (25%) I just couldn't do it.

The same was true for my countertop selection- silestone. Much cheaper at HD.

My search for sinks and faucets seem to be better on line though. Haven't ordered yet but I think I will order those online. Any suggestions for sink/faucet suppliers would be great.

I'm just hoping the counters come in looking good and installation from home depot goes smooth. The island cabinets that im ordereing from hd will be installed by my handyman.

Comments (10)

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

I was about to use Home Depot for cabinetry and then went to Lowes...Lowes' customer service and the quality of the Schuler finish won me over. I was so happy with the whole process and got a great deal (both big box stores have cabinetry sales every so often, and I found it way worth the wait to make sure I took advantage of all the deals). The boxes came on time and are sitting in my garage...hoping I'm just as happy when the contractor opens up all the boxes next week...

• Kay M
    11 years ago

We have Thomasville cabinets from HD in maple with a chocolate stain, with the upgrade to plywood construction. Overall, we are happy with them; however, a couple of our doors came in damaged and the replacement doors have sort of a disaster to match the stain. Both HD and Thomasville have been very accomodating during the process, but its still been a bit of a PITA. The cabinets themselves look great and seem like they will hold up well and we were fortunate that the HD installer we got did a great job. For what its worth, we got about 8-10 quotes and they came in and the best value for our budget with all the bells and whistles we wanted.

Good luck to you.

• Related Discussions

Suntuf panels from Home Depot, anyone used?

Q

Comments (2)
    Clear, single layer, corrugated polycarbonate panels are available from several sources. Most are UV protected and work well for greenhouses in warmer regions without hail problems, and looking for spring to fall production. The difference in sources is in the crating/shipping charges and the length of the warranty. Here is a link that might be useful: polycarbonate panels
    ...See More

Anyone use Home Depot stock Vanity? Pics?

Q

Comments (2)
    I bought a vanity at Lowe's that i haven't installed yet, but I like the look--dark brown with a travertine top. It was around $450 for the whole thing with sink and top. I also bought one from Ballard Designs for $350 on sale. It is 36 inches and came with top and sink too.
    ...See More

Anyone use Home Depot or Lowes?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hmm, long ago we walked in and talked to Home Depot asking to get some idea of prices and the cabinet person encouraged us to sit down and do a plan right then based on our measurements. If we wanted to proceed with ordering cabinets, we could either do so off our measurements or pay for them to come and measure to confirm. We walked out with a plan and prices. This was about 13 years ago though so practices may have changed. Or they may vary by store? edited to add: we did not use Home Depot. We were young and broke and ended up diy painting the existing cabinets (and diying new floor, new countertop, new lighting) because that's all we could afford at the time.
    ...See More

Bright White Grout Recommendation?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi everyone... I have a grout question! What is considered the brightest, pure white grout in terms of Brand name? Our contractor handed us a Mapei (sp?) brochure that only had two whites: Avalanche and Antique. Has anyone used Home Depot's PolyBlend in Bright White? Our tiles are seafoam blue/green. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • AnnaA
    11 years ago

We used HD Thomasville as well, and Silestone via HD. Do a search for Quartz and you will see the finished kitchen pics.

Same thing here - we got numerous quotes, and in our area, we got the best deal via Thomasville. We did use our own contractor for install, as HD contractor prices ate up all other savings we got by buying materials through them.

We also got an 18 month same as cash which was the deal maker for a bunch of reasons.

Hd contracts out with a local Silestone dealer / installer. These people were amazing! They templated via lazer, a fascinating process, and the install went without a hitch. They were very intentional about making sure all was ok. From what I've read here, I don't think every quartz / stone contractor HD uses is as good as what we've got here...not sure about that one.

We got our sink via the fabricator, facets and bs via other vendors. But, we got our stove via HD by doing a cost match. We found the item online via another vendor, cheaper than HD online price, and they honored the cheaper price we found. One of a bunch of ways they helped us lower costs.

Oh...and we did purchase our counters and cabs during sales. That made a big difference as well. Sometimes they are HD sales, other times the sales are generated by the product,s manufacturer, I.e., Thomasville and the quartz dealer.

The only place I felt HD wasn't a good deal was on their install / labor prices. We did work with a KD at no additional charge. She came to the house, and worked with us for hours. She was very experienced, and taught us things we didn't think about despite getting about 6 other estimates. So, we are happy campers.

We love our Thomasville cabinets. Our contractor's friend is a high end home builder. He was here often during install and was impressed with their quality. (I'm not skilled at evaluating such things.) One cab was damaged during transit or at the factory, and we got a no hassle door replacement delivered to our home. We wanted more shelves, thinking they shorted us a few, and they sent us extras. Very responsive.

Have fun deciding!

• boschboy
    11 years ago

I ordered my Kraftmaid cabinets and granite countertop through HD. Had a great time with our designer and even picked out the 2 slabs of granite for the kitchen. No issues with delivery or the customer service. They were always very attentive.

• SarahCray
    11 years ago

I used Home depot to customize my bathroom counter top and cabinets. I love the look, but it was a bit expensive. You get what you pay for, though! I did not, however, buy my sink and faucet from them. The prices they were asking were ridiculous. There is a company near me called MR Direct and they sell sinks and faucets at wholesale so it was a no brainer. I suggest doing the same.

• maries1120
    11 years ago

I ordered Kraftmaid cabinets from HD. They were delivered yesterday and installation starts today. The KD was very helpful and I thought I got a good deal on them. From what I have seen of them so far, I am pleased with the quality. I liked that I could go there evenings and weekends which worked better with my schedule. I didn't use their installers.

• whisperingwillow
    11 years ago

I used HD for my granite with lots of warnings from many not to go that route. I live in a semi rural area and finding a granite fabricator was not an easy task. I tried for over a month. I went with HD. The installers that came were located 2 hrs away!

The end result is fantastic. I love my counters. Sometimes I just stand there and stare at them. lol. The process itself was a bit stressful for me. HD contracts things out to many people, so at times you are dealing with several different people and no one seems to talk to each other. I have never had granite before so it didnt help my nerves any. All went well though. Happy customer.

• caryscott
    11 years ago

My Mom got her cabinets through HD. It was a good experience but it pays to be cautious. She started at the closest HD and ultimately opted for one farther away because she liked the designer better and the store had a long term relationship with their installer. Beyond not really liking the designer at the first store they also had someone other than the installer do the measurement visit - I thought this was a potential recipe for disaster. From the store she used we asked to see the installer's work and they arranged for us to visit a client's home and take a look. Word was that the local stores had a strained relationship with the company they sub contract their counters to so she opted to do that separately.

It will come as no surprise I can be pretty annoying and I ask a lot of questions - Installer was very patient and helpful and when the store staff didn't want to do things we wanted in the design he backed us up. When I asked for things that weren't necessary or useful he was firm but pleasant. It was a good experience.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

We ordered our InnerMost cabs from HD and couldn't be more pleased. The guy we worked with was more than helpful both before and after the purchase. As the cabinet manufacturers are constantly running specials on one thing or another, and sometimes HD too, you can get significantly more for your money than you thought. In spite of all of this, we did not use HD installers or measuring. We did all our own measurements and we also installed ourselves.

I'm under the impression that summer is when the discounts get especially interesting. Had we ordered last July instead of August, we would have done even better. Of course, since we hadn't worked out every last detail in July, waiting was such a better idea that rushing and regretting. In August, InnerMost was offering "free" finished sides and a discount on color matched insides. They threw in a "free" sink base when we (actually our sales guy) asked. HD was offering a %off based on total sale price, which was better in July than August. I think this is the story for all lines, not just the one we bought. Sometimes the sales people know what the offerings will be for the next month or two and will share that info.

Sinks: We bought ours from Express Decor. We looked locally, but the selection was pretty limited, and I was looking for something pretty particular. I love my new sink!

Faucet: We bought locally as Ferguson's had the model we wanted. We may have been able to save $10 by ordering online, but it was easier to buy locally in this case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Express Decor

• misslivvy
    11 years ago

So far I have bought most everything for my kitchen remodel thru Home Depot. I ordered Thomsasville cabinets and will use HDs installers as well. I posted yesterday in detail under a different thread about why I chose HD for my cabinets vs. Lowe's, IKEA, custom, or RTA cabinets.

I was fortunate to find a great KD at my local Home Depot. Also, they have a very knowledgeable, licensed electrician on staff who designed my whole electrical & lighting plan, how many circuits to add, etc, free of charge.

One thing I may not buy from HD is my granite. My Home Depot sends you to a store called Arizona Tile to pick your slab. When I went there, the slabs all looked like seconds to me, or B grade, less desirable slabs. I looked elsewhere and saw much nicer quality slabs. I am in Los Angeles so there are lots of granite places in the SF Valley and OC. The down side is if I do it on my own I have to learn about fabrication and how to interview fabricators which makes me a little nervous.

I also probably will not buy my appliances from HD, nor my sink and faucets. This is due to pricing and product selection.