SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetorenovate_gw

low budget kitchen remodel

lovetorenovate
14 years ago

I bought this small cottage house for a STEAL 3 1/2 weeks ago - it was virtually unlivable (hardly a kitchen, no toilet, termite damage, roof leaks, etc). I've done several other houses (this is #7) - so it didn't scare me off too much. But, I'm getting divorced - and have very little money for the entire redo - so my plan was to do it all on $20k. By "all", I mean - new roof, repair all the termite damage, new bathroom, take down a couple walls (DR/Kit DR/LR), install a new kitchen, all new plumbing, and an HVAC system (currently nothing there). It's been a huge challenge - anyone can remodel on an unlimited budget - this makes it more "exciting".

So, here's some before & afters. We (me and my framers) took down the wall between the kitchen and dining room - The kitchen has a long narrow design - mainly so that it's open at the back area of the house - where I plan to put an addition next year when I have more money from selling my current house (i'll put another large arched opening at the back wall of the kitchen to open that to a new addition with a den, master suite, and covered porch at the back of the house). there's now no "official" dining room, but there's a perfect spot for a banquette with built in seating.

We put an 8 ft arch between the former dining (now a huge kitchen), and living room. I found my cabinets at the Habitat Restore for $1700, including the corian tops (sink too). I have some cabinets for the island too (not all shown in the photo) - and the island is getting Uba tuba granite. I bought the mircowave hood on craiglist for $75. I'm buying a bosch ascenta for $420 (my 5th bosch - and I never use anything but one cycle - so I'm gonna try the low end to stay in budget), a whirlpool gas range with a center grate (so it'll feel more like the high end ones I'm used to) for $600, and a fridge, standard depth side by side that's recessed in the wall. the glass tile backsplash was at HD for under $10sf. It's all come together really quickly - i'm pretty excited. my hardwood guy is sanding and staining this weekend - so next week i'll be nearly done!

this pic shows the kitchen wall completely gone and the arch framed between the living room and kitchen:

opened up - first coat of paint on the walls, cabinets in

backsplash installed (but not grouted) you can see my freebee corian countertops and sink here too (my granite guys agreed to recut them to fit my kitchen and said to pay them whatever I felt was fair):

I am a bit over my budget (not too much) maybe $22k - but I had planned to go for all used appliances and after buying a bumm dishwasher on CL, decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I'm the painter, landscaper, tile person, and trim carpenter - so labor costs are pretty low. I have paid for an electrician, plumber, HVAC, hardwoods and my framers.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths