SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof3kids_pa

Back for more! Sold my ikea kitchen, new house...

momof3kids_pa
9 years ago

Hi all. Sold my house with my Ikea kitchen (in 2 days btw, they LOVED the kitchen!!) Me too! I miss it. I hugged my marble and soapstone counter tops and balled my eyes out as I said goodbye :o(

The new (to me) house is so not my style and I need help. First off it has this terra cotta type tile throughout kitchen, breakfast, and family room which will be replaced with hardwood floors. There is also a supporting sliver of wall kinda smack dab in the middle of the room, that is being removed and spanned with steel beam.

The kitchen: its in the interior of the house so its kinda dark, especially with the dark-ish cabinets. I would like to re-use the cabinets, move them around, and then paint them white/light. They are Yorktowne, probably a mid-grade, and about 7 years old.

I've attached a configuration proposal. I dont know how to draw the top cabinets, but i'm ok with that part, just want some advise on the bottoms and main layout. Also, didn't know how to draw the bit by the sink... currently there is a bi level peninsula. I want to add another 18" cabinet to the left of the current cooktop, which will push the peninsula toward the door opening to the dining room. i thought about having a half wall behind the sink for splash, adding a 24" cab opening from the other side, but then the counter would circle around -- similar example picture in my photobucket.

I'm sure I'm not explaining well! Please take a look and tell me what you think?! Also what do you think about trying to re-use the cabinets? I really would hate to start from scratch because they are in good shape, just not my taste, and as they are solid wood doors would paint up nice I would think??

Also, would be getting new fridge, counter depth either 48" wide or 42", still lookin into that. Either that or trying to inset the current one into the wall, which all the contractors are balking at. I'd rather just get a new fancy pants one.

THANK YOU!! I miss this forum. I still poke around once in awhile but always on my smart phone and am not savvy enough to post with that!

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/momof3kids_pa/library/

Here is a link that might be useful: photo bucket pictures

Comments (16)