SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nataliechantal

Ack how do I get my custom hood to fit????

NatalieChantal
12 years ago

Modern-Aire just sent me drawings of my planned custom hood. It will be copper with bands and rivets, and 30" tall, for an island configuration. I'm not ordering it yet until I have everything worked out perfectly and right away we hit a snag: my ceilings are NOT as high as I though they were!

We are in a log home, so the kitchen ceiling is actually the floorboards of the room above, and support beams run below. Our plan was to have the hood top line up with the bottom of those beams, so the space between the beams and the actual ceiling could house the ductwork. Our GC would cover it with woodwork and it would have a straight run out the side wall. The hood would sit parallel to, and in between, the support beams.

The height from floor to the bottom of the beams is 93 3/4". The beams are 7 1/4" high, and spaced 21" apart. The range of course is 36" high, and the hood itself 30", so currently that would put the hood at 27 3/4" above the cooktop. I would like to put it as high as safely possible since DH is 6'1"! One option would be to shorten the hood itself - and it is also available in an 18" height - but I think that would look weird in my space, and to only shorten it a few inches would add significantly to the cost which I am doing my best to keep down!

How can I make this fit? Should I have the vent come straight out one side instead of the top, and if so, would that look awful? If I keep the vent at the top, how many inches do I need to allow?

I've never had a hood before and have no clue how to proceed!

Comments (14)