SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Suggestions for Lighting Over Small Island

drjoann
13 years ago

I have a small (3' x 5' with clipped corners) island in my new kitchen which will be a marble topped baking center and also a comfortable place for chopping, staging things from the fridge and buffet serving. I'm wondering what I should do over it for lighting.

We live in Houston, but are building in the Upstate, SC.. We finally got to see the house for the 1st time, last week, when we came in for the mechanical/electrical/plumbing walkthrough. Its really neat to see something we have worked so long and hard on taken from paper to an actual structure.

During the walkthrough, the electrical guy said that he was going to put can lights over the island. I said that I wanted pendants, but he thought it would be too busy and distract from the mini-chandy that will go in the raised, octagonal ceiling of the nearby banquette. I said that I would use something from the same collection so that the two areas would be cohesive. We agreed that it would be a single drop, island-type light.

BTW - my white cabinets are modeled off of redroze's. I'm going for a fairly classic look, including a marble subway tile backsplash, even though we are using dark granite rather than soapstone. Oh, and the ceilings are 10' with the cabinets stacked to go all the way to the ceiling.

Later in the week, we went to talk to the lighting gal. She said I shouldn't listen to the electrician because he wants to do what is easiest for him like a single drop. She thinks I should do two large pendants like Kichler's Sayre with the coordinating fan in the keeping room which is visible from the kitchen. Unfortunately, there is no mini-chandy to go with Sayre & it may be a bit too "industrial" when I'm likely to want to use a toile for the windows or cushions in the banquette.

The most immediate issue is whether I tell the electrician to put one drop or two over the island. What to y'all think?

After that, I could really use some help. I'm not even sure of the finish I want. I had planned to use Amerock Revitalize cabinet hardware in gilded bronze, but I'm not sure now that I have seen the granite, marble and tile together. I'm tending a bit more toward the brushed nickel types of finishes because the glass for the lights tends to be whiter rather than cream and would pick up better on the marble.

Anyway, you've gotten me this far, so I'm hoping for some good ideas for the next step.

Thanks, so much - Jo Ann

Comments (15)