SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fleur222

Don't rush advice

fleur222
14 years ago

Everyone advised me not to rush back in May. I was feeling pressured to move forward with the remodel, but was still even questioning the layout. I wanted more than anything to have all of my choices made before ordering the cabinets, so that I would be sure of everything matching, etc. Most of all, I just wanted to enjoy the process. Anyway, what has been happening all along is that most of what I want doesn't fit either my space or my budget. It is like all along I have been trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. And it is complicated because my DH and I really do not want to stay in this home forever, yet we do not know when we would be moving. I guess I should have been thinking "what can I do to make this kitchen as nice as I can for me for now, but definitely ok for resale", instead of trying to make this kitchen into my dream kitchen. In fretting over decisions, I have delayed the process even while knowing it is very important to my DH to have it completed before our company visits this summer.

It may sound like rambling, but here is my point... I went ahead and ordered the cabinets, knowing that the contractor, plumber, and electrician are very experienced and reliable. The cabinet company comes highly recommended too. So even though you warned me of delays, (and it is not my first experience with some remodeling) I have learned of a delay in the cabinets. First the other day by a few weeks, then today by even more. Ok. You told me so. If the second delay really takes place, the cabinets will arrive after my company! One of you warned me of just that. Anyway, the cabinet company will contact me tomorrow to see if the cabinets can actually be delivered sooner.

So, my point is...I still have to decide on countertops and lighting...and my head is splitting. Any of you along for the ride? I have natural white oak floors and soft white cabinets ordered. I love the look of marble in pictures, but I think it I will not go with it, because I like it best when there is a wood island to balance out all of the white, and I think maybe it doesn't fit this house. I was thinking maybe a grey granite or quartz. Anyone have grey granite?

Finally, I don't want to sound like I am complaining about not being able to build my dream kitchen.....or that I did not plan... neither are true...it is just that I got caught in the middle of things.. the kitchen demands a remodel now,(and it only makes sense to spend a certain amount on this house, but we also have to live with it) we have special company this summer, and we want the house at least in a condition that allows it to be put on the market.

Comments (2)