SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
racerdinah

Kitchen layout help: 48' cooktop in 12' island proportional?

15 years ago

Greetings - visiting from the appliance forum! I'm trying to finalize everything before the builder and KD shoot me out of frustration with my never-ending re-designs/ideas/questions. We're building a new house with a very open floor plan. Style is contemporary/modern: cumaru floors, dark/espresso shaker cabinets, light granite countertops, lighted glass shelves on top cabinets. I'm aiming for sleek and striking yet VERY functional.

The kitchen walls are L-shaped with the corner of the L having a built-in pantry (5'4"x5'4"). The short side of the L (10' beyond the pantry) has the double ovens. Long side (13' beyond the pantry) has the 48" fridge. Ovens and fridge are butted up to the corner pantry. Clean up sink is centered on the remaining space on the long side of the L near the refridgerator.

A BIG island, roughly 12' runs parallel to the long part of the L with the work area facing outward into living area. This contains the cooktop (15" from the end near the ovens), and the prep-sink near the other end. If I do the 48" cooktop there will be 54" of space between that and the prep sink. If I go with the 36" cooktop there will be 60".

Anyone think this cooktop will look to big? The hood will likely be 51" Broan. I could go to 36" but would lose the grill (and save about $2K). The fridge and cleanup sink would be behind me as I'm standing at the island. Isles will be at least 45" all around.

Sorry I know it would be easier to post a layout but I don't have anything online and no access to a scanner right now. Any thoughts or suggestions you might have (I'm imagining people drawing sketches on paper trying to conceptualize what I've written!) are most welcome. I've dragged this design around and re-visited it at least 3 times and I know the KD is getting frustrated. I'm hoping to take the plunge and finalize my design and order the appliances tomorrow. Thanks!

Comments (5)