SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenma_gw

Vent on Mid-State Kitchens and MA line price comparisons

13 years ago

Disclaimer: I know there are some of you out there who used Justin from Mid-State in Shrewsbury and had a great experience. I wish I had found this forum so I could have requested him.

I have been comparing prices between four or five companies over the last few weeks-months and I decided to go with Mid State because their prices on the 6 Square cabinetry line were amazing! $5300 for a 12x12 kitchen for white painted maple APC.

Apparently they were too good to be true. After I've basically finalized my kitchen design-ready for measurements and putting down a deposit-I get a call today with the final bid--$9000! I had made minor tweaks to the design: and that's almost twice as much!

I'm so angry I could spit. The KD says he didn't realize his software for 6 Square was outdated because they don't sell too much and apologized, but I don't think I can go further with them. Who knows what other mistakes could happen down the line . . .

DH isn't that surprised and couldn't care less. I figured someone could relate here! It's just so frustrating to go back and forth so as to get a good comparison apples to apples on different lines to make an educated decision and then basically be thrown a loop!

Now it's back to the drawing board. I wanted to do a full price comparison at some point on here or my basic 12x12 L + island white painted maple APC kitchen: Same design given to everyone. Doesn't include installation, only delivery.

Brookhaven: ~$13000

Crown Point: told they couldn't do my kitchen for less than $15,000 when I said I was hoping to keep it under or around $10k

Adelphi: ~$12500

6 Square: $9000

Cabico Espresso: $8000

Lowe's Kraftmaid: $8500

HD Thomasville: $8500

Heritage Cabinets: local cabinet maker-$13000-KD doesn't like white cabinets, kept trying to convince me to go with cherry to reduce the cost. Came to house to discuss design--overall very nice experience!! But lead-time was 12-14 weeks

Country craftsmen: only did one design (I changed my mind and they will only give one estimate for free), but it was very large and $10,000. It's a shame they won't do more than one because I think they are a great reasonable company, but I couldn't put a deposit down on a design I hadn't seen yet. Go to them last for an estimate.

The pro/cons I found were:

HD/Lowes: discounts, sales, the ability to pay interest free with a credit card over 6-12 months, questionable KD, questionable installers (luck of the draw), questionable product

Mid-state: very affordable, not reliable, door styles for 6 square and Cabico expresso are limited and no solid wood doors, great price for APC

Brookhaven (Kitchen Associates in Sterling, MA): great product, limited door styles in basic price, upcharges for APC and paint, great installers

Adelphi (Ideal Kitchens in West Boylston): great family owned, local company, similar product to Brookhaven, but more door styles available for same price, discounts (currently) on paint and APC

Comments (8)