SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mightymeg

Plans to Gel Stain cabinets in new house...

mightymeg
13 years ago

Hi all! I'm new to this, so bare with me if I don't do this right. We're moving into a new house next week, and I want to change the kitchen cabinets first thing. At first I had plans to paint them white, but DH threw a minor man hissy fit, and we've agreed to stain them darker. I've been looking into this for forever, and I've decided to go the GF gel stain route, but I wanted to know if it matters what kind of wood the cabinets are? Mainly because I don't know what kind our cabinets are! The house was a foreclosure, so there is no previous owner to ask questions to, and the house is fairly new (built in 2006), so I've been assuming oak this whole time, but today realized I could be way off! I'm hoping to figure out how to post a picture so I can include a picture of our kitchen, and you all can hopefully give me any insight into the world of gel staining!

Also, I'm not sure what color of gel stain to use. I see lots of Java being used, but I think that is too dark. The end result I'm looking for is more of warm rich brown...but lets just say not dark chocolate. I was thinking of going with brown mahogany, but I'm still not sure...any thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

Comments (4)