SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cincy_remodel

Kitchen Drawer Spacing

cincy-remodel
9 years ago

It seems that most kitchen drawer stacks are what I would call base 6. Narrow drawer fronts are 6" and the tall drawers are 12" tall. For the 30" tall stack, this allows for 5 slots for drawers. These could be 6,12,12 or 6,6,6,12.

Our kitchen is not very big and we are more concerned about drawer area instead of drawer volume. Most kitchen tools are not very thick and if they are all laid out flat they are easier to grab.

We are considering instead of using base 5. This would allow for 6 slots. Like 5,5,5,5,10 or 5,5,10,10. In effect you get an extra drawer in each stack. If 5" drawer front would result in a drawer of about 3.5" deep when using undermount slides.

I've check in our kitchen and can not find anything that would not fit in a 3.5" deep drawer provided everything stays flat. This spacing would be slightly more expensive due to the extra drawer. However I would like to understand if others see any issues long term with this type of spacing.

We are also considering making the drawers as long as possible to achieve the same benefit even though they will not fully extend with full extension slides. All with the same goal.

Thoughts? Thank you for your input.

Comments (18)