SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Microwave in upper cabinet, how much clearance is needed?

annab6
14 years ago

I have seen so many pictures of microwaves surrounded by wood, almost flush and without a trim kit.

It looks really nice and I thought that would be the way to go. Then someone mentioned that microwaves need "clearance" for venting and now I have the same question.

The operating manuals all say something like "don't block the sides of the microwave" or "this microwave is designed to be used either as a countertop or with a trim kit". I haven't seen any specific clearance requirements in inches for either back or sides. So I called GE customer service and asked if I can install GE Spacemaker this way. They said it would not be an approved installation and would void the warranty. Ok, does that mean it is also a fire code violation?

But it also appears to be a very common installation as well. In fact, I searched google images for "microwave in upper cabinet", and the first image that comes up shows it done and it is a photo from a cabinet company's website.

(I hope it is ok to post the link)

http://www.baycustomcabinets.smugmug.com/gallery/1320607_xA4af/1/62470078_FaBxA#62470078_FaBxA

So, is there a trick to it?

I am considering either using the wood around it or just having it inside the cabinet with the door closed when the m/w is not in use. For either one the clearance issue becomes important because the cabinet can only be 27" wide (24" interior width) so there isn't that much room.

Comments (7)