SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martian1_gw

Backsplash before Electrical Finish?

martian1
11 years ago

Hi Everyone! Tomorrow will begin week 10 of our kitchen remodel. The cabinet maker is mostly to blame for this fiasco as they made some poor quality cabinets and their installers didn't understand the concept of 'level' so they had to come back about 3 times before we could have the granite installed. This resulted in about 4 weeks of delays.

When we contracted with our GC, it was understood that since we did not choose his cabinet maker, we would handle our cabinet maker, our granite fabricator and our appliance installations. The GC was in charge of the tile floor and backsplash install, dry wall install and finish, electrician, and plumber.

During this time, our GC went out of state for his wedding and was out of pocket for 3 weeks. My husband dealt with the cabinet mess, the stove and hood fiasco and one call to the electrician to finish his install of the outlet in the island before the granite guys came out (which would have made the island weigh a ton = made electrician's job harder). By the way, after the electrician ran the conduit from the floor through the island to the outlet, there was so much excess in the cabinet that it completely filled up one of the tray storage slots! My husband decided to re-route it himself so that we could get the granite installed! GRRRRRRRR

Now that our GC is back, he is insisting that the backsplash is done before the electrician comes back to finish the under cabinet lights, connect the diswasher, garbage disposal, range hood, stove, etc. I am about to lose my mind. If the final skim and sand of the drywall behind where the fridge is supposed to go would be finished, i would paint it myself just so i could get my fridge delivered! (the fridge outlet is the only one that works) I can't use the rest of my appliances because there is only roughed-in electric throughout the rest of the kitchen!!! I don't even know if any of these things work!!! 10 weeks which will probably end up being 12 weeks when all is said and done....

I always thought that the backsplash was the LAST thing to be done. Why is our GC insisting that the electrical is the last??? Can I call him myself and tell him off? I am the meek one but I am ready to explode over this.

Thanks for listening and any input you can give. To say I am frustrated is an understatement at this point. I feel like I'm going to go volcanic any minute now.

By the way, the tile floor turned out great as did our granite install and we love the plumber! Everyone else involved in this kitchen remodel can go to Hades right now.

Marsha

Comments (5)