SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caddeau_gw

improved kitchen layout?

Caddeau
12 years ago

A few weeks ago I posted a floor plan for our kitchen renovation. I got a lot of very helpful feedback, read up on what others had posted, talked with GC and revised floor plans. I'm posting the new plans with zones and major features of the kitchen layout indicated on the overhead view, plus a 3D view. Counter on sink wall wraps around into family room, where it drops to desk height for a work/study area. We think the extra counter space will be welcome and our two kids like to study in a place where they feel connected to action, and we can answer their questions while they are working. We hope the peninsula between kitchen and dining room will serve as a nice gathering place--convenient seating for breakfast, a place for guests to sit while we are preparing dinner, etc. I feel like it is a good plan, but realize that I'm completely new to this and may be missing something glaringly obvious. Given our budget, I realize we aren't going to have a high end kitchen, but I do want it to be functional. I would appreciate comments positive or negative, and advice.

My wife and I feel like white cabinets are big these days when we look in magazines and on line, but keep coming back to simple maple cabinets with a light stain and continuing the dark oak flooring that we love in the rest of the house. The stainless steel toe kick panels are my attempt to break up the oak flooring and maple cabinets visually, does this seem silly? We're going to go back to the white vs wood issue once we settle on the layout. I include this 3D view to give a sense of the layout, final finishes, colors, etc. will probably change.

Comments (25)