SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_egg_gw

Not as interesting as The Towel Pig, but I could use some advice

mrs_egg
13 years ago

We are about to begin building our new home. Our builder is also our cabinet maker. He builds only a few homes per year and his main source of income is his cabinet business. He is much cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes. When he first bid our kitchen cabinetry a few months ago, I wanted stained and glazed knotty alder cabinets with a raised panel door, 1/2" overlay. A couple of weeks ago, we decided we wanted a white kitchen, so we changed our cabinets to full overlay, maple, painted, Shaker style. His bid has increased by 1/3. Is this normal? I would think maple would be cheaper than knotty alder and shaker would be easier to make than raised panel. Am I wrong? When I talked to him about it, I showed him a picture of the exact door I wanted and he rolled his eyes and said, "Oh, another Shaker kitchen." I asked him what he meant by that, and he said he didn't really care for Shaker doors. My husband thinks maybe he increased his price because he doesn't like building them. Does this sound weird to anyone else?

Comments (8)