SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
busybme

Share your War Stories

busybme
13 years ago

jenswren posted about her recent injury while DIYing her kitchen, which required extensive medical attention. I'll bet there are lots of us here who have close-call, injury, or damage stories to tell. Please share!

Accidents happen, even when you are not diying. We had an electrician come through a ceiling (he was working in the attic). As fate would have it, my then-13 y.o. daughter was standing directly below him holding our very expensive camera.

The electrician had stepped on a 2x4 crossbrace, which gave way and hit my daughter on the head and arm before knocking the camera out of her hands. The 2x4 was only about 2 feet long but was spiked with many nails.

And the poor electrician was left hanging out of our ceiling above my daughter. I had to get a ladder to help him get back up into the attic. Fortunatley, neither of them were seriously hurt or required more than a few bandages (and probably an ice pack for the electrician, but he would not admit that) It was crazy!!

The framing crew that did the first phase of our remodel was the actual crew that had built our home in 1993. They told me all kinds of stories about the building of our house, including one of the framers falling from the peak of our home while putting on the roof deck. He landed in the center of what is now our living room...a 13 foot free-fall apparently. He got a bit of time off of work from it, according to the. I'm actually surprised he survived!

Who else has scary stories to tell? Maybe they can remind us all about the importance of vigilance and safety consciousness.

Sandy

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations