SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eleeny_gw

Appliance garage questions

eleeny
14 years ago

We just bought a new construction house. The kitchen cabinets are 80% installed. On one wall, there is space of wall ovens on the left and tall pantry cabinets on the right. In the middle are base cabinets with granite countertop (not sure how long, maybe 4 or 5 feet?). The upper cabinets for this middle section have not yet been ordered. (By the way, I don't think these are custom cabinets; they're probably stock.)

I was thinking about asking the builder to create an appliance garage for me, in the middle section described above. However, I have no idea how big of a deal this is, how much it might cost, and what specifically I should ask for. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a plethora of appliances that I'd like to hide. Yet, my lazy nature insists that I keep many of them on the countertop for easy access. For now, these include a Vitamix blender, my favorite toaster oven, a rice cooker, a juicer, and a food processor. It appears that the space may also fit a countertop microwave, which I'd never consider unless I could hide it.

Several questions:

- How tall can this "garage" be? (The Vitamix is already slightly taller than the space between the countertop and standard upper cabinets. Do they make stock upper cabinets in slightly shorter heights to allow for more space below?)

- How deep should this "garage" be? (If I want to fit the microwave, then the upper cabinets will have to be the same 24" depth as the base cabinets, right? Would that look ugly?)

- How many outlets should I ask for inside the garage?

- What type of door is best? Perhaps a pocket or flipper door? (How expensive is that for a carpenter to make if the cabinet company doesn't already have such a thing in stock? I think they might not, since the builder told me they don't even carry any slide-out shelving for the cabinets.) Since the pocket door does take up some room inside the appliance garage, would a standard countertop microwave still fit inside it?

Please let me know if you think this is doable. THANKS so much!

Comments (7)