SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_o

question about my new trash drawer foot pedal

jane-o
14 years ago

We moved in yesterday, and I immediately used the trash drawer handle instead of the foot pedal by mistake. I asked the contractor about it, and he said I needed to learn not to, because making that mistake would break the mechanism pretty quickly. (And I could tell by the sound/feel that opening it by the handle wasn't "right" - but it takes little enough pressure to do that that it's easy to do by mistake. And certainly guests are likely to do it all the time.

We can't remove the handle for two reasons:

(1) the holes for it are already drilled and would look ugly, and

(2) you need to use the handle to pull the drawer out farther than the pedal opens it to get at the recycling bin, which is behind the garbage bin.

I don't want to remove the foot pedal either, since I often have raw chicken or whatnot on my hands, and like being about to get at the garbage hands-free.

I asked if there was some way to change the setup so that one could use either the foot pedal or the handle, and the contractor didn't know of one.

I wondered what the folks on this forum had done about this issue, since I'm guessing I'm not the first person to have this question. (I've generally tried to avoid having things in the house that I have to tell people to be careful of, and this seems to really violate that principle - as well as the ergonomic principle of "see a handle, pull it".)

thanks for any ideas!

Comments (11)