SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riley605_gw

cracks/breaks in glass tiles?

riley605
12 years ago

We're working w/what is a new product around here - Marazzi glass tile mosaic called "Catwalk." It is SUPER thin, like 1/8" thick glass, and the style of the mosaic is horizontal, using narrow almost "sliver" style longer pieces. It's all on a netting back, of course, but my tile guy got a little upset when he opened the first box and saw how many individual pieces of glass were broken.

Some are broken in half, some have hairline cracks, and others are somewhere in between. Right now the plan is to use sheets w/the most problems up high (I'm doing an entire wall in my bathroom in this) where they'll get less scrutiny, down low on same wall, and in kitchen - well, we will just have to save the best pieces for in there.

Anyway, tile guy's hoping he can set the tiles without having the glue or whatever squish up through the cracks. He seems pretty concerned about that, although he's hoping wiping grout over the set tile will fix that (and not settle into the breaks, making them even more obvious.)

I'm not worried about that, although maybe I should be since he is. Seeing the cracks themselves I think I'll be ok with, since the colors in this glass almost have a marble-like pattern. I don't expect a material that is meant to look somewhat "natural" - like granite - to be perfect; I'm afraid you get too much of a manmade look then.

I guess my question is: has anyone used this new mosaic by Marazzi? Experienced any of this? Marazzi is a great company and usually stands behind their products - but we didn't open the boxes until they'd been on premises longer than the 30 days Marrazi allows for returns.

Amongst my buider, tile guy and local supplier, we can't find anywhere this product has been installed outside of the Marazzi showroom in OKC. And it's hard to judge there, since they would be able to pick and choose what they used.

I've attached a few pics of the breaks/cracks I'm seeing ... any experiences or advice on what to expect would be incredibly helpful!

Comments (7)