SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sls2001

New cabinets or major modifications? $$$

Maggie Passel
10 years ago

We are in a 20 year old house that originally had white wood cabinets that we had faux painted. We are replacing all appliances, countertops, backsplash and refinishing the floors. Our cabinet boxes are fine however we currently have a 30" cooktop with microwave over it and 27" double ovens that if replaced with 36" gas cooktop, vent hood and 30" oven would require new cabinets. The current drawer fronts do not match the size of the doors and we want a more updated cabinet style so at a minimum we would replace drawer fronts, doors, hinges with soft close etc. We are in a family friendly suburban subdivision and are planning on staying here no more than 5-6 years.

The rest of the kitchen and the general layout of the island, etc is a whole different question that I will post later. My questions so far are-

Would you replace cabinets or try to modify? We know we could get much more space and function with new cabinets but it functions ok for us as is-especially if I put in roll outs in the bottom cabinets.

Would you consider replacing the ovens with 27" instead of a larger 30" so that you keep more storage and counter space? 27" is fine for our cooking needs.

We don't want to take room in other cabinets for a microwave. Is it a mistake to put in a single oven, with a combination microwave convection oven instead of a double oven?

Please let me know what you think. We have so many questions about appliances, layout, finish but the first question is do we try to modify or replace the cabinets. The cost difference is obviously huge but we don't want to redo everything and find that it really isn't updated. Thanks.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)