SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

mjsee's kitchen remodel: color stories

mjsee
11 years ago

I THINK I've picked the products for my kitchen...mostly. These are what I'm leaning toward...floor is still(minorly) in play. BS tile is a definite. Cabinets are a definite. Counter-top is a most probably. Trying to decide between white and stainless appliances.

What do y'all think? Tile is Jasba's lavita sunset red mix. Counter is ceaserstone lagos blue. Cabinets are bridgewood advantage maple with a wheat finish. floor is marmoleum--sahara and red copper. Coffee cups = white appliances, measuring cups = stainless. Resale is not an issue...and I prefer white appliances. I think. I've never HAD stainless appliances.

I'm waiting on more marmoleum tiles to play with so I can decide if I'm going to do a pattern of some sort...my initial thought is to do the red copper on the perimeter and the sahara in the middle. But that decision doesn't have to be finalized JUST yet. (Remodel will not start until mid-to-late August.)

Honest opinions most welcome! (Pictures were taken in the morning...no flash. Kitchen is quite bright during the daytime because I've got a window AND a skylight. And will be bright at night because I've got lights.)

Comments (48)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I'm drawn to the white. Stainless one is more subdued.

• pawa
    11 years ago

WOW! That is an amazing colour scheme! It really works well!

OK, I like the white better.

However, whenever I see a kitchen with white appliances, I tend to think, "that would look better with stainless". But this is just a function of my living in 2012, where stainless is trendier than white. (I do fall for certain trends.) So if it were me, I would do stainless, unless I could afford (or had the scrounging skills to find) those funky retro appliances.

You could bring in white with crockery, dinnerware, mugs, etc...

• Related Discussions

remodel story

Q

Comments (1)
    Sounds like an adventure, and I'm sure you will love it! I, too, look forward to that blissful state of "done." My project has taken so much longer than expected, and I've had to do more "supervising" of the contractor than I expected, but any day now....
    ...See More

One Kitchen Remodel (before/after)

Q

Comments (27)
    @gr8day and @taggie - Thank you! Yes, the range has been sitting in house for a week and we finally got it in last night (which was a disaster but wont' tell that story, but will say that Lowes is ordering us a new glass top!). Thank you for the sweet feedback about the kitchen. Considering it's an "accidental" kitchen design, I'm grateful it turned out as well as it did.
    ...See More

Kitchen remodeling, as Modern Art

Q

Comments (8)
    Florantha, I found your suggestion for adding to the sweeby test very interesting. I would love to hear your suggestions. As for the political dimension of kitchens, I was certainly affected by the political climate in my choices. In Florida with plummeting home prices it didn't make financial sense to go too nuts on my remodel vs. home worth. I bought what I could pay for without stacking up any dept. I stuck with some unpopular picks like micro over range because my priority was getting some counter space, creating more upper storage to open up my hall pantry for better use and adding quality where I could. By doing a diy (excluding countertops) I was able to fit in a few extra bells and whistles along with some hardy counter stools. A few years ago when there was seemingly no end to the soaring home values down here I did have brief thoughts of knocking out nook and reconfiguring to get a bigger kitchen. However, in the back of my mind I knew that the soar was not going to last. And now of course I'm glad I prioritized and did not spend the extra $25,000 or much more as I would have needed architects and a whole slew of people and supplies. Would I like a bigger kitchen? Yes. Do I have to have one? No. Am I overall happy with my own creation and arty kitchen? Yes!!! In my house with two college kids and a husband who works many hours, I need burners and big pots for simmering soups and stews. My big otr Velos micro is perfect for reheating great big casseroles. I now have countertops to plate up food. My kids can not afford to live else where while going to college but excluding part of Navy boy's, we are paying for school. One is still trying to find work. This is how it is now for many Americans, kids are staying longer at home or grandma's and sacrifices must be made.
    ...See More

Kitchen Remodel Started! Photos and Updates

Q

Comments (14)
    Your kitchen looks great, wish they were in the Boston Area - I'll be starting mine, hopefully soon, just starting the process of looking for what I like. I have the same layout as you but with 8 ft ceilings, 9 cabinets in mine - (one corner no cabinet do to structurally jog out) small and a condo too. The living room, dining room open to kitchen layout you have looks just like mine also. I am really looking forward to see how the 2 tier tear down to one level looks because that is what I am thinking of doing also. Can't wait to see yours finished! In your first post you mentioned a link to other photos you have that are not posted here. I don't see the link though. Can you repost the link if it's still available?
    ...See More
  • herbflavor
    11 years ago

stainless...the combination of white with that backsplash doesn't work. The stainless calms it down. The backsplash wouldn't be my choice but it has it's good points-go ahead with it if you like the warmth-it looks good quality. It might be good to pick a cooler gray for one of the squares on the floor...that might make it all work better for me. Don't they have tons of colors for that flooring? I'd search through those colors a little more....not sure such a "match" of floor to backsplash is so great.How about a deeper cherry wood tone with a cooler gray on the floor? Or really dark green....make a little shift on the floor-but have it coordinate.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Could you do a red range?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Stainless, and not because it's trendy. The white completely upstages what you're trying to do with the other colors. It's like a big white dress shirt. If you had another color scheme, it would be a different matter.

I confess I'm not a fan of orange so I don't care for the red copper floor, but the other one is gorgeous. However, it might be a little too much like the color of your cabinets. I like herbflavor's suggestion to perhaps try a cooler gray on the floor.

• pawa
    11 years ago

I completely (though respectfully :-)) disagree with herb.

I like the maple with the warm counters and the warm backsplash. Cherry would completely de-funk the funky vibe.

I like the warm floor and how it is connected to the bs. Without that connection, the bs would stand out way too much.

My only quibble is the maple cabinetry with the saharah (yellowish) floor. It looks like they clash a bit.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I think this is going to be a kitchen you're going to love! I really like the backsplash (I'm into color), but exactly how much of it is there going to be? One thing I've noticed about big-color, small-tile mosaics is that if there is too much wall, it can be a bit overwhelming. That nice, calm counter top is just the thing to keep it from "too much."

The counter top is called "lagos blue"? It doesn't look even faintly blue-ish on my monitor. Does it look blue-ish in person? Whatever they call it, it goes well with everything else.

I keep coming back to the solid piece of marmoleum - copper red? Something about it seems a little off to me - a little, not a lot. This could be monitor colors again. How it looks in person is the most important part. I like the idea of a pattern. When you get more tiles you'll be able to tell better if that particular color is your best choice.

White vs. stainless: I think the white adds a crispness to the entire palette. I am no longer totally opposed to stainless appliances, but I'm still not blinded by their superiority for either looks or function. In your kitchen, I think the stainless could be done, but it doesn't add, it just kind of hunches it shoulders and says, "I'm safe, I'm safe." I have to add that my husband just came in and he thinks the stainless is a much better choice - you can see that we had a few differences of opinion when we did our kitchen! May I point out that, as we speak, he is wearing a raggedy, gray t-shirt, and I am wearing a viridian t-shirt?

• rosie
    11 years ago

Your colors come together beautifully, Mjsee. I'd probably do white appliances because I like them and (disclosure) I personally really like the cheery, cooling influence of white on what can be smoldering colors, especially if there's a little white in the mosaic to pick up on.

Since white grabs attention so strongly, though, ideally even I might prefer to bring it in other ways. I'd rather the refrigerator not be jumping up and down in my kitchen shouting, "Look at ME, look at ME!" Or in any room for that matter. :) But--what are you doing for wall color? And how will the appliances be laid out?

If you really want a warm spicy look, I think stainless would work better for big surfaces.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

This opinion is based on my view of a kitchen : I like looking at a kitchen where my eyes flow seamlessly through the space without being jarred by anything. I think that the stainless would allow that to happen but with the white I'd be going - oh, flow, flow, white DW, flow, flow, white fridge, flow flow, white stove. Do you see what I mean? My 2c.

• TheRedHouse
    11 years ago

If you do white appliances, they'll really stand out. If you go that route, you might want to chose vintage or interesting-looking appliances so they'll look like they are meant to be the focal point. With white, the kitchen would probably lean more toward a funky/vintage feel. If you do stainless, the floor and backsplash colors will take center stage. That would probably be more of a warm and modern vibe. I think the choice really depends on your personal style and taste. How do you want the kitchen to feel?

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I think I'd do stainless so the backsplash stands out.

I love white kitchens. They're peaceful, clean, and quiet on my eye.

I recently did a search on something in Houzz. Can't remember what. But out of probably 80 kitchens that came up, only a few were colorful. It's nice to see someone doing something bright and cheerful for a change!

I really look forward to seeing your finished project.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Gosh I like this. It is elegant, different, smooth. First thought is stainless for the reason blfenton so perfectly gave. You can use white accents when you decorate--bowls, pots, whatever, for contrast, if you want.

But given what is here, I think you will make it wonderful whichever way you decide. This is exciting. I especially love the unexpected colors in the floor tile.

Thanks for making me smile.

• peonybush
    11 years ago

I would pick the stainless. The white is going to pop out and that's what your eye will be drawn to. White looks more vintage to me. The stainless would complement the countertop I think.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Love a person that's not afraid of color. Since your colors are bright and modern, I would countinue the modern/contemporary vibe by using the stainless appliances. I think the stainless looks better with the countertop. It doesn't jump out at you and say "look at me" like the white does. Whichever way you go it's going to look fantastic.

• Claudia77
    11 years ago

The backsplash is the "star." Therefore, I would choose the stainless, which will not "fight" with the backsplash - it is a softer compliment. I also wouldn't put any other patterns in the kitchen.

• function_first
    11 years ago

Although I tend to like stainless appliances myself, your colors and materials evoke a sort of retro vibe, and white is what I'd go for in this case.

I love it all, can't wait to see it done.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, everyone! I should have mentioned--this house is a mid-century modern that's been mucked with a bit. But the bones are there. My kitchen is small-ish...not quite 12' x 13'...with lots of cabinets. There's going to be a LOT of wood.

Back splash will run along the counters under the cabinets...and then up the wall to the ceiling behind the stove. (cabinet on either side of stove.)

IRL the Sahara floor is almost identical to the cabinet color...at least...the SAMPLE color. Luckily I don't have to order it until I see the cabinets. (I don't think I do, at any rate!)

As to the red range...I'm planning on an electrolux dual fuel...I'll have to see if it comes in red. That WOULD be fun...assuming the reds match. Nothing worse than a red that just misses.

Here's picture of the flooring thought I had--with the cabinet sample taped next to it. Oh, and the cabinets are frameless, slab doors.

I am NOT responsible for the current floor. Inherited it and have been living with it for 15 years. Ugh. It's fairly high-quality solid vinyl tile (Azrock) but I HATE the color.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I'm surprised no one mentioned off white appliances. There are some cool takes on almond/bisque out there, some have that yellow tinge and some seem to have a touch of grey. The only problem with that idea is you would have to mostly stick to one brand for a color match.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the down-n-dirty floor plan I gave my contractor. we've tweaked it a bit...but this is pretty close:

Picture with Mouse cookie jar and sh!t filled shelves are from my version of this kitchen. No more open shelving. Not something my family (or I!) can handle. ;^)

And here are pictures of the PO's initial remodel...that I inherited. LOVE the windows they chose...they kept the original cabs and painted 'em white. And used painted MDF for the doors...which are bubbling. Pass through is great--but I do NOT get the silly-little-window into the LR...and I've painted the "cune" Tate Olive and the rest of the LR Berkshire beige.

Kitchen "cube" before and after:

Kitchen interior before and after:

Stove is going where silly desk is, closing up silly window, horrible open shelving is going away, chimney vented hood:

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jterrilynn--and not getting stuff to match is one of the reasons I'm NOT going with the bisquesque ones. Because I'm all OVER the map with appliances. Samsung refrigerator, Electroluxe range, Miele (in my dreams!) dishwasher...Kenmore in reality. I don't think it will be a problem with white or stainless...particularly since they are on three different walls, but undertones are huge. In an almond or bisque? It would bug me if they didn't match.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I'm responding more than usual on GW today because I'm watering the garden. I know that doesn't make any sense, but every 20 to 25 minutes, I have to go out, reposition two hoses somewhere in our 1/2 acre garden, adjust the sprays, and come back inside for another 20 to 25 mins. 100 degree heat is due to arrive tomorrow.

I can't settle to cooking or cleaning, I can't go shopping or walk the dog. So I've looked at GW a lot yesterday and today. This time when I looked at your samples, I really liked the one with white. Hope you can find someone to mock up one of the pretty sketchup renditions so you can really ''see'' it.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bellsmom--I get it. I've 1/2 an acre with extensive landscaping (shrubs, perennials, 17 japanese maples--I have a JM problem) that I have to water periodically as well. I, too, hope someone mocks it up for me...

I have to decide on appliances BEFORE I leave town to take care of my mom (she's having surgery) 7/2. The good news? I don't think I can REALLY go wrong...

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I agree on not going wrong. And I look forward to seeing the process and the product.

I only have five Japanese maples. Love them. One with small white and pink edged leaves is maybe my fav tree in the garden.

Bell's ringing. Gotta go move hoses!

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

Love love LOVE the colours. You've really nailed the coordinates, something that is often missing in white/cream kitchens (like my "before".....). Now about the appliances... I'm a much bigger fan of function vs form, and I went with stainless because that is the only finish the range-of-my-dreams came in. Also, my local appliances stores had much larger selections of ss appliances than any other colour, and by extrapolation, I presumed that future replacement appliances (I really want to think my $$$ purchases will last forever, but likely not) will be easiest with the predominant finish.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Palimpsest-- Alas, no red range. White, stainless, or black. Hazards of a budget-ish kitchen...and wanting sealed burners.

Here's the beauty of all of this...not matter WHAT I end up with...it's going to be MUCH better than what I've got. ;^)

• bahacca
    11 years ago

I looked at the pictures before even reading what was going on. In the one with the stainless, I honestly didn't even realize those stainless pieces were there. In the one with the white, I said to myself "What is that white thing???" So I vote stainless so it blends and allows the colors to shine.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

I just have to say how much I am LOVING your bold use of color. I could never pull that off in my kitchen, I'm looking for something a lot more "tame", but you are inspiring nonetheless.

• pawa
    11 years ago

mjsee - just as an FYI, you could get your dishwasher at IKEA and have your cabinet guy make a cover panel for it. You could do the others appliances in stainless or white.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea dw with custom cover panel option

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone who is saying "Stainless--it lets the colors shine"...you are all making my DH very happy. And may be swaying me. Makes sense. Plus...it will force me to find something other than my refrigerator to use as my "rolodex". Heh. I'm thinking about a metal "bulletin board" for my magnet collection. Oh, did I fail to mention the magnet collection? Yup. Some of my favorites include "Don't make me come down there--God" and"Please don't make me go all CAPS LOCK on your a#$." And that's just a start. They go downhill (or get better, depending upon one's view) from their. Heh.

Y'all are wonderful. I promise updates.

• lightlystarched
    11 years ago

I absolutely LOVE your choices. The cabinet color is modern, yet hints at midcentury vibe. The counter looks grey on my monitor - a really awesome grey, not too dark or light. And the Sahara tile is stunning.

I thought the white things were two rolls of toilet paper at first. I much prefer the stainless. Like a poster above said, if you want some white, add it with bowls and dishes. A nice white pitcher or something. Unless your appliances are meant to be focal points they should support the other choices, not upstage them.

• jillkristine
    11 years ago

I do like the white with your awesome color palette. However, as some posters have mentioned, I wouldn't personally do white appliances - mostly because I wouldn't want to draw attention to the appliances. I would go with the stainless steel which seems to blend very easily with the other colors. I would do serving pieces and accent pieces in white.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

The white in your pics draws my eye away from the other goodness you're planning. I would stainless instead. I can't wait to see it all put together.

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Stainless, the white will pull attention towards the appliances and away from the rest of your lovely kitchen.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

mjsee, I recently got a KitchenAid side-by-side in stainless and magnets stick to it. I was pleasantly surprised. Apparently stainless comes in various mixes of metals.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

linelle--don't tell me that. Honestly! I really need to quit using my refrigerator as an organizational tool. I mean...my kids are adults now! Besides, I'm kind of digging the idea of a piece of galvanized steel bolted to the wall somehow...

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

We always used our fridge as a surface for magnets, magnetic clips, notes/coupons, magnets with notes/coupons - you get the idea. With the new fridge I decided we weren't going to do that. I miss my magnets, but I don't miss the clutter. When we cleared off the stuff from the old fridge, I discovered coupons that expired two years ago! Not to mention little kid photos of nephews and nieces who are now older teenagers. The kitchen looks better for the absence of said clutter.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

If you're old enough to remember "Color me Beautiful" you would remember that silver (stainless) is reflective. So it doesn't fight with the gorgeous colors for attention. Unusual, because in white kitchens, and some gorgeous ones with darker colors, they're the focal point.

Please go stainless! :)

Are you guys in my area? I'm watering 3 acres (stupid me landscaping so much) in anticipation of the 100F weather this weekend. I HATE the sun.

Rant over.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in NC. It was stunning today...supposed to be warmer tomorrow...and Saturday? Saturday they are predicting 104F. And I'm pretty sure we'll do stainless...because y'all are making sense.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Love your colors! I too vote for stainless. I love Lagos Blue and think the stainless is really going to look great with it, as well as not fight your BS colors. Your kitchen is going to look great! I also really like your appliance choices. I'm considering the Electrolux range. I hope you'll give a review on it after you've had a chance to put it through its paces. Wishing you a trouble-free reno!!!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

mjsee, who says you can't have both? :)

I had accepted the fact that I could no longer have my favorite Calvin & Hobbes strips on my fridge or my daughter's postcard from Cinque Terre. I tossed out a lot of the funky ones and started putting the things I couldn't part with on the sides of the fridge (mine isn't built-in or counter depth). I accidentally touched the stainless corner of the door and it grabbed, a really strong grab.

I had been having a little identity crisis with my new kitchen because initially it felt impersonal. It felt good to stick up some stuff from the old days. Someone warned me that the magnets would scratch, but everything's dandy. I keep them just at the top so my cats don't go berserk. The gray alligator sides are plastered with them.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linelle--my refrigerator is going to be boxed in by cabinetry...but the more I think about a steel memo board...the more I like the idea. hmmmm....time to do a little DIY/Dwell/Hipster research...

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

Absolutely the stainless. The mid-century color scheme cries for a bit of a shine. the value of the white is too stark. the colors are beautifully selected, but the white will not blend at all.

Here's an image as example with very similar coloring:

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

I just saw this image this morning on Houzz for their 8 great color schemes for kitchens article. I think you have it nailed. Cannot wait to see you new kitchen!!

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Dallas Architect Domiteaux + Baggett Architects, PLLC

• mjsee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some of those pictures have me wishing a more high-end range, with red knobs, were in the picture. Ah well...I can always replace the range when the money fairy comes by. (I won't. Inertia is a powerful thing.)

DJHinVA--

I looked at that orange counter. I looked at it long and hard. (I'd have gone with one of my alternate backsplash tiles.) I couldn't convince The Husband. AND...we'd already fallen in love with the tile I chose. It (and the counter) are our "big splurges." I know that $36/sq 9if memory serves)isn't REALLY that much for tile...but we are trying to keep this kitchen at around 25K-30K--with all new everything but the ceiling and a 5K "oh sh!t" fund. (I've done a major reno before...one needs an "oh sh!t" fund.)

And if there is an expensive finish out there...I tend to gravitate toward it. Heh. SO--I have to hold myself back. For instance...I WON'T be buying the Valli and Valli pulls that I fell in love with. Nope. But I'll find something else that functions as well...and I'll love them. (Actually saw some Hickory pulls at Lowes that I liked nearly as well...at less than 1/2 the price.)

I'll start a new thread when reno begins in a couple of months. Thank you everyone...this has been fun. And y'all have made me see the wisdom of the stainless. I hadn't thought about the "eye-stopping" qualities of white with wood cabinets. Last kitchen we did (20 years ago!) had mid-tone oak (it was what we could afford) and we kept our original appliances which were 1985 almond. No eye-stopping there. And, of course, this kitchen is all white. No eye-stopping there. Stainless makes MUCH more visual sense, from that perspective.

melanie

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

Oh Melanie!I wasn't suggesting you change your counter...I was just finding your palette! Gosh! It is beautiful though isn't it? My neighbor has a bright yellow waterfall counter that I stare at in awe..but no guts in this girl to make that kind of statement! Oh well. I know you will have a beautiful kitchen with your color choices. They are wonderful.

Deborah

PS my brushed granite completely busted our "oh sh!t fund" big time!! I almost rather call it the "Can I have it puleez?!?? Fund!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Verona comes in red.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

There seem to be different kinds of "stainless" appliances out there. Our rental home has SS fridge, stove, and DW. Magnets DO stick to the fridge - but not the others, which of course is fine.

Also, I believe there is a kind of stainless or stainless-like material that doesn't smudge when you so much as look at it (much less touch it). Neither of the kinds of "stainless" in this rental kitchen are it, but if you can possibly get it, do consider it.

That being said, I do agree with others that the stainless "pops" much less, allowing the rest of the colors to stand out!

FWIW,
    bean

• raenjapan
    11 years ago

What an awesome pallet! Totally fun, I can't wait to see the kitchen. I feel like the kitchen does need some white accents, but agree that maybe appliances aren't what you want the eye to stop on. Also, are you going for a more modern or more retro vibe? The white adds a retro-funky thing (in fact, a white vintage stove with the rest of the appliances being stainless would be fabulous) while black accents like in the photo DJhinVA posted push it more toward a clean, purely modern look.