SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uroboros5

Some of you have really nice 'BEFORE' kitchens!

uroboros5
12 years ago

I've been looking at a lot of "before and after" threads and I can't tell you how many tears I have shed and how many tunics I have torn (OK I'm being melodramatic) for all the really beautiful kitchens that are now playing harp in Demolition Heaven.

Kitchens I'd give an arm and a leg for are being unceremoniously led to slaughter. Sure, they don't look like they were installed yesterday... but still so tasteful and classic - whether it's on account of superb wood, original trims, nicely thought-of layout, or a good fit for the age of the house. What horrible crimes those sweet-looking kitchens have committed to deserve such rage? I look at the pictures, and I'm befuddled: "you want to ditch this kitchen??? I'LL TAKE IT, GIVE IT TO ME!!! It's gorgeous! Just update a few accessories!"

Below is my kitchen. It's getting demolished in 3 weeks. But now I'm getting cold feet that sledgehammers are going to bash into an under-appreciated treasure.

Maybe I'm missing the charm of the iconic, white, unadorned melamine panels. Maybe I'm overlooking some brilliant utility to the 1 1/2 sink with the faucet on the side for crissakes. Maybe I should be grateful for the pink countertops, matching trim and hardware. Maybe all I need to to fix the peeling melamine, replace some of the broken hinges, put back some of the pink trim that fell off the bottoms of the left top cabs...

Shall I have mercy?

Comments (34)