SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nataliechantal

Do you mentally re-do every kitchen you see?

NatalieChantal
12 years ago

A little OT, but this is my first kitchen remodel and I am quickly becoming TKO already, and we're only at the drawing stage. But as a result, every time I step into someone's kitchen, I start mentally figuring out how I would remodel it. Would I change the layout? Move some things around? Ooh, this would be a great kitchen for that granite I saw at the yard last week! That pretty sample backsplash would really lighten this space! Soon I have a complete picture of their kitchen with more cabinets, or new doors, or paint/stain, or I've added a backplash, changed the wall paint and the hardware, added lighting and voila!

My MIL's kitchen is particularly painful ever since I started research here and saw all the beautiful pictures, and know how easy it would be to update... Unfortunately for my obsession, she just loves her very shiny, dark medium brown stained oak cabinets with cathedral door in a very, very 80s kitchen. Very ugly solid surface counters, mimicking nothing at all - just brown and black flecks on a grayish white background - and green walls.

It's not that I am trying to find fault with anyone else's design choices - just when I walk into one that is "as is", with no real thought put into it, my mind scrambles to renovate it until I have a mental picture of what it could look like. Of course I keep this all in my private monologue!

Maybe it's a way to place design elements I love, but which wouldn't work in my kitchen? Is it a natural result of being TKO? Or is my kitchen remodel really pushing me to unhealthy levels of obsession, lol?

Comments (30)