SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisadlu

Do you LIKE over the stove Microwaves??

lisadlu
13 years ago

I am considering where to place my microwave in my new kitchen (it currently sits on the counter but it is only 15" wide so doesn't take up tons of space). I really don't like the look of a microwave over the stove. Where do you have your microwave? Are you over the stove or countertop fans? I don't think I would like it in a bottom drawer like I've seen lately. Maybe mount it under another cabinet or just leave on the counter? Where is yours?

Comments (29)

• mpmg46
    13 years ago

Nope. At 5"1, I greatly dislike them!

• Related Discussions

Frigidaire Over The Stove Microwave ???

Q

Comments (3)
    I've had mine for 5 years. The handle has broken twice. Frigidaire would not cover this under warranty and would not admit that this is a flawed design. I'm not handy with these things, so I have had to pay somebody (twice) to fix this problem, with each repair costing me about $200. Watching the guy repair it, it was certainly not easy to get to the screws you describe. You'd think that if they are going to use cheap plastic on such an important piece, they'd at least make it easy to replace when it inevitably breaks. Here is a link that might be useful: Microwave
    ...See More

GE over-the-stove microwave light/night light

Q

Comments (0)
    We have a GE microwave (over the stove type), model number JVM1660WB005. I bought the unit new 7 years ago, it was used for 3 years and has been in storage the past 4 years. We installed the unit in our new-to-us home and when I turned on the light/night light the bulb "popped" (didn't break the bulb but sounded like a small explosion) and it broke the glass cover on the side that "popped." I couldn't unscrew the bulbs so I had to break the bulb off the base and then I used needle nose pliers to remove the base of the bulbs. Two small pieces of the black holder for the light bulb broke off both holders. I replaced both bulbs but the lights don't work. I ordered replacement lamp holders and just installed those and the light(s) still don't work. What should I do next? The light/night light feature of this microwave is one of my favorite features. Thanks!
    ...See More

microwave won't fit over stove..??

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you for responding ..my current stove is only 44 inches from the floor to the top of backguard and the microwave is 15 1/2 as it stands they are too close I think. The bottom of the microwave to the top of stove burner area is 14 inches. The new freestanding stoves are all mostly 47 inches and microwaves are all really about 15 inches. I have only seen one stove that has controls in front I think it is kitchen aid and has horrible reviews with regard to a fuse causing problems with self cleaning. I did not know that they made the thing for the back do they sell them at stores or on-line? Another alternative is to put microwave on the counter and do a hood over the stove..do you know if they require different wiring for that if I currently have the microwave with the vent built in?? Sorry for all the questions.. Thanks
    ...See More

How do you extend the area captured by over range microwave exhaust??

Q

Comments (6)
    The problem also is most microwave hoods barely have enough power to suck up anything even if they did have a large enough capture area. It sucks (pun intended) but your best bet is probably as Sophie said to bite the bullet and spend on a real hood, and then get a countertop MW. At least the MW will be inexpensive.
    ...See More
  • chris45ny
    13 years ago

I have an open upper cabinet with 2 shelves. The micro sits on the bottom shelf. Haven't decided what to put on the shelf above-cookbooks or maybe a wine rack set up. I used to have an OVR micro and it was ok but I like this better.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

I don't love OTR micros, but really sometimes in small kitchens there's no better option.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

In our new kitchen, we have more countertops than we need, so the microwave will sit out on the counter. Not fashionable right now, but practical for us.

I had quite a lively discussion with DH about the over the range microwave models when we first got started. He wanted one. He came to realize that it would require someone saying "excuse me" when another person was already using that space and we've made a vow not to have an "excuse me" kitchen. Additionally, I find that microwave use in my household is to cook veg, rice, etc. and to heat up leftovers and coffee and to defrost things. None of these needs to be in vicinity of range and would be better done closer to a serving area.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Before my kitchen remodel, my microwave was above the range. It was ok for me as I am 5'7". But it wasn't good for my younger kids and I think it is a dated look. That being said, during my remodel my husband put the microwave on a shelf so it sat about 1 foot up from the floor. I absolutely HATED it. I am so glad I didn't put in in my base cabinets. But, I did make a huge mistake. I ordered an Advantium oven and have that installed in a upper cabinet about 18-24 inches above the countertop. It is a nightmare. I just didn't think about the fact that the door opens down and how high it really is. I would somehow incorporate your microwave oven into a space 36" -50" above the floor. If you are thinking of doing a microwave in your base cabinets, find out exactly where it would sit and put your microwave on a platform that is exactly that high and use it for awhile and see if you like it. The end of my story is that I ended up getting a cheapo microwave at Target and now for the time being will have a microwave on my counter. Function over beauty I guess!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Aesthetically I really wanted a cool hood. I really wrestled with the un-coolness of not having a cool hood for my remodel. Ultimately though, as I am hurting for countertops and lower storage and storge in general I decided to not give in to being completely cool. I can see how the setup for very short people would be difficult but for me at 5Â4" (sort of short) it has never been a problem. When it came right down to deciding if I wanted to knock out windows and the nook and have my budget blown to smithereens just to have a hood and a different place for the micro/convection combo I decided against it. Truth is I sort of the fact that I can multi task all in one place and I have never ever caught on fire or had an accident with this setup. I have burnt my hand a few times though in my range oven but IÂm not about to eliminate my range oven because of it. I would like a second micro though for when IÂm using the over head combo as a second oven. My hall pantry is too small for even a little one but I did find a tiny one that was taller than wide and had the dials on bottom, it was 11" wide.
    If you can swing another location for the micro instead of over the range thatÂs good, but if you canÂt donÂt beat yourself up over it.
    This is the setup I had with the old kitchen. In the new kitchen everything is getting moved over a foot to the right to get me out of the corner area, the 2nd pantry to the right is out and there will be long awaited countertops there with big pot drawers on bottom and storage on top as well as pull out spice racks on each side uppers of range.
    Old Kitchen
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/house%20pictures/?action=view¤t=p1010091-1.jpg"; target="_blank">

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I like an over the range microwave when there is no better place to locate it in the kitchen. I find the location convenient for infrequent cooking, defrosting, etc. I have no children and we are both tall enough to find the location comfortable. I do hate the ventilation (it essentially does nothing) on my current (10+ year old) microwave, though I wonder if some of the new exterior venting microwaves do better. For the type of cooking I do, I would rather have an over the range microwave with mediocre ventilation than give up storage space or countertop space if the kitchen is on the small side. However, if I can possibly find a different location in the future (maybe a drawer microwave?) I will definitely go that route so that I may have a proper ventilation hood.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Currently my microwave is over the range. I'm definitely going to move it.
    1. The venting is awful. With the fan on ''full'', you can sort of barely detect a light breeze right at the vent openings.
    2. I'm always having to step away from the saute while SWMBO or others use the microwave.
    3. I killed the first microwave with an excessive flambe - don't think that should have killed it, but it did - and the replacement was expensive - over $500. What's a standard sit-on-counter microwave, $100 maybe?

I plan to have the next microwave sitting in a cabinet with a door that can conceal it.

• idrive65
    13 years ago

I don't mind how they look, but I don't like the poor ventilation and capture area, the "excuse me" factor, and the reduced height for accessing pots.

A long time ago in another kitchen, we had a behemoth of a 1970's recirculating OTR that had cheese-grater-like mesh screens that angled downward toward the back. I couldn't see into the pasta pot and was forever bloodying my knuckles when stirring on the back burner. We don't need a large micro so our very tiny unit sits on the counter, in the corner. It's white, the back-splash is white, and so it doesn't stand out too much.

• User
    13 years ago

I don't like them.... :) Ours will be in the pantry.

• nkkp
    13 years ago

My mom has one and I don't like using it. I can't just reach in and stir something and I worry about spilling hot liquids when taking thing out of the microwave. FWIW I put mine in my island. I have only used it a few times (we're not moved-in yet), but so far I much prefer bending over to reaching-up.

• willis13
    13 years ago

My BF has one, and I was shocked at how poor the ventilation is. Boiling/steaming veggies on the front burner... the steam went straight up, the hood was sucking NOTHING. The front of the microwave got totally steamed up. And then she turned it down!!

I bent over backwards to find a spot for the microwave so I wouldn't have to have one, but I can certainly see how they are popular when space is an issue.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I had an OTR microwave for years. Didn't mind it, it was just there. In our remodel we put the the microwave in a built in cabinet in the island. I like it a lot. A friend had told me I wouldn't like it because I wouldn't be able to see buttons to press and bending over. We use it for vegetables, defrosting and heating water. I love it, I like lifting from below instead of removing hot from above me. I can see the buttons fine and I put the childproof lock on when kids visit. No more over the stove for me.

• nik211
    13 years ago

In my small kitchen there was really no other place to put it. I could do without it though. I'm short so it's a PIA especially if I'm putting something liquid or heavy in the microwave, as others have said the ventilation stinks, I get steam on my microwave when I boil water (and a hot door handle!)and even though my large pots fit underneath it doesn't leave much room for stirring...but it's still better than not having a microwave at all and I need the counterspace so above the range is where it stays...

• skit19
    13 years ago

WeÂve had the microwave over the smooth top range for the last 18 years. IÂm tall, so the height hasnÂt been a problem. I have always worried that someone would drop a hot dish while removing it from the microwave and crack the cooktop. Fortunately that never happened, even with 2 kids growing up with that configuration.

However, with this remodel IÂm switching to an induction cooktop and do not want to tempt fate. I can already see that steaming bowl of Easy Mac slipping out of my shorter daughters hands and cracking my brand new cooktop. So weÂre going to move back to a countertop microwave that will be incorporated into some open shelving built on top of a base cabinet. They make trim kits for some of the countertop microwaves to make them look built in, but I donÂt think IÂm going that route.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

These questions are rhetorical: How often have you had microwave failure? How likely is it to occur? How important will it be to replace it quickly? How expensive will it be to find a suitable built-in one? Does coupling it with a range fan make the replacement/repair issue harder and more expensive?

I just had a countertop microwave repaired, a week before Sears 1-year warranty ran out. Have killed at least 3 others in my kitchen over the years. Each replacement one was a different size, etc. and was smaller and had newer bells and whistles.
    __

skitdel: induction range vunerability: good point!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I detest my MW over my range.

1. When I am trying to cook some fool teen child or
    husband decides it is at that time they NEED to melt cheese
    or some other annoying project and get in my way. I try to
    drill a hole with my eyes into the back of their head but
    they never vanish.

2. It does not pull the grease out of the air. And so
    my kitchen still smells like Indian Curry that we had a
    month ago.

3. It is ugly. Alright not ugly as it is new but it is not
    look nearly as pretty as the Modernaire hood I so desire.

I too am going to set up a separate Microwave, Snack and
    teen area in my kitchen A place to conceal the MW and
    an area to store the popcorn bowls and velvetta cheese.
    If you have an opportunity to put you MW some place else
    do it, you will only regret it above the range.
    Or maybe you like doing the wait in line to cook your
    food on the range? That tango dance of excuse me I need
    to reach across you while you splash curry on your face.

~boxer

• skit19
    13 years ago

Oops just re-read my post and wanted to clarify that moving the microwave to counter height was better for my shorter teenage DD. Yes, we do care about her safety - not just the cooktop! She would have been allowed to operate the microwave at a slightly younger (but appropriate) age if it had been at a safer level for her.

• madamg2u
    13 years ago

When you are short on space, short on countertop and its the only place that it can go. Well you deal with it and make it work. In the new kitchen even with gaining a little more counter space it still wasn't enough. So I bought OTR just didnt have a choice.

MadamG2U

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• lightlystarched
    13 years ago

I hate OTR micros.

Our microwave is in the pantry. We rarely use it anymore though. Water heats faster on the induction stove.

I rarely use the crockpot anymore either - the induction replaced that too!

I induction!!!

• clg7067
    13 years ago

No. Mine is coming out as soon as I get a chance. It's also dead from the heat from the range.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

I hated having it over the range. I even burned my breast once on the stove top once when taking out a casserole dish and placing it elsewhere (I'm very short). Please, do not ask how this is possible - it just IS.

And of course, they barely can capture the grease and steam which comes off the stove top which others have mentioned, so the house smells awful after cooking certain foods, let alone the clean up involved and how hard it is to get into the MW itself to clean.

So, in my new kitchen, it's going onto a shelf, in an area sort of dedicated to that and coffee area. There's a 27" cabinet above and below, with a landing area for the coffee pot and toaster oven below the microwave. I'll be able to store whatever is needed for coffee, tea and snacks there (there's a 9" thin upper cabinet to the right of it as well). It's on the opposite wall of my main cooking area, so it won't conflict with what I'm doing if anyone else wants to use it while I'm cooking, and near the refrigerator which has the water in the door for easy access for tea and coffee making.

• eieio-5
    13 years ago

I really dislike the OTR micro in our current kitchen. It makes it really hard to pour into pots because it is so close to the stove top...especially on the back burners. The venting is awful. I'm pretty short and it is very awkward. It poses a safety issue for my kids...I'm afraid they are going to dump hot food into their faces.

In my next kitchen I think I will put the micro in an island base cabinet or side by side with the wall oven.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

I have a small kitchen and OTR microwave. No problems with cooking or microwaving. But, if my kitchen were larger, I would prefer it to be on the counter.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

If you do the counter micro or under counter micro do get one with the child safty locks and watch that oven, 60% of all kitchen burn injuries are children under six with things counter height and lower.

• User
    13 years ago

Let me add...the house I just sold had an OTR microwave.... which broke a year after I built the house! It was a huge pain to replace, find the right matching size, etc. That, and it definitely did nothing for ventilation. The fan was pointless (as mentioned in a previous post above...) ... It didn't suck anything in it! More steam ended up on the outside of the micro. Finally, it was ugly :) Hence, why my micro will be in the pantry....

• Richard Arellano
    8 months ago

It wouldnt be so bad if it vented properly, but micr microwave over the stove sucks

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio