SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peach32_gw

Backsplash for Typhoon Bordeaux

peach32
12 years ago

Hi! Just joined today. I have very light maple cabinets and the floor will be Costa Rican Walnut laminate. SS appliances (stove is black and SS). Wall color is Sherwin Williams 'Tea Chest.' (It's a dark brown w/peachy undertones). DR is SW "Portabello." I have narrowed it down to crackled subway tiles and have enjoyed the other discussions on here. Hampton 'Olive' (not really a traditional olive color) is the absolute PERFECT color with TB but it clashes with my hall paint color which is SW 'Oyster Bay.' I feel my only other option is a cream but I'm afraid it will just blend right into the cabinets. Do I have enough other warm color going on in the kitchen to pull it off? I have undercabinet lights and will have 4 canned lights overhead. Thanks!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Remodel on Slide.com

http://www.slide.com/r/LdiSON3M5T-QJNCaY7xoRScVgAZlp6VJ?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

Comments (46)

• ellendi
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A popular look IS to blend in with the cabinets. You see this time and again with the white/cream kitchens and the white/cream backsplashes. If you have indeed found the perfect color in the Olive, I would repaint the hall. I am not sure why the hall will affect your backsplash to the degree that you would give up using a perfect tile.

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the feedback. I have become increasingly excited about the idea of the tile blending with the cabinets. I think it will be beautiful and have seen many pics of white/cream kitchens that I love. As far as painting....unfortunately, with the layout of my condo and the way the walls flow into the next room, one of the hall walls is longer than the other one as it is part of my foyer. It is all painted Oyster Bay at the moment. So there is more than just a "hall" that would need to be repainted. I'm not big on "accent walls," which, if I painted just the walls that go into the kitchen, I would end up with....if that makes sense. That is a whole 'nother topic--how do I get away from so much Oyster Bay in my house?? Love the color but would love less of it. I debated and debated on whether to go with it or the lighter shade, "Comfort Gray," and ended up going with the Oyster Bay on every wall in the foyer, LR. It's beautiful with the browns and creams in my LR but...there is just so MUCH of it! :)

• Related Discussions

What backsplash with absolute Black and Typhoon Bordeaux?

Q

Comments (2)
    Do you love your Typhoon Bordeaux? I wish I could have done my entire kitchen in it! I have a feeling I will be hugging my island daily once we move in! Your backsplash sounds really pretty- Can't wait to see pictures! i have a feeling I will do tumbled travertine as well and somehow incorporate the wine in the bordeaux and possibly put some absolute black granite in it as well... or do a border of some sort with a mixture of it all... Please show pics when it is complete!!
    ...See More

Typhoon Bordeax granite ... what backsplash

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Doug, I haven't been on in a long time but glad I popped in today. Always glad to see my two favorite words "Typhoon Bordeaux"! This was my favorite for a backsplash with TB...It's Sonoma Stellar Crackle in "smoke" color. The color name is misleading. It's more of a green, and matches the greenish gray in the background of TB almost exactly. It's in a thread called Calling all Typhoon Bordeaux's To find other old threads, do a google search with your term and the word "gardenweb" in it or "site:ths.gardenweb.com". The search engine on gardenweb itself is a little limited. If you have a piece of your granite, take it with you to the tile stores. Also bring tile samples back with you to see how they look in your kitchen's light. Sometimes, you'd be surprised at what works and what doesn't :-) BTW, I ended up going for a worn travertine because it worked better with my whole space. And still loving the TB after 2 years! HTH, Julie
    ...See More

Backsplash help- to go w/Typhoon Bordeaux granite

Q

Comments (26)
    We are having Typhoon Bordeaux installed next week. We are planning to use the same tile backsplash we used in our previous house because we loved it so much and had so many compliments on it. We use Tuscany Travertine subway tiles on the 12 x 12 mesh backing. The tiles are 2 x 4 and they are beveled on the edges. We used 1 full 12 x 12 from bottom of upper cabinets down, then a row of Noce Listello 4 x 12 with an antique bronze medallion and then finished with about 1/4 of a 12 x 12 piece across the bottom. The Tuscany Travertine just seems to match everything perfectly. I ordered 2 boxes from Home Depot this morning. Working with the 12 x 12 mesh pieces is soooo easy to install. I did our last kitchen myself and I had never tiled before.
    ...See More

What accent backsplash tiles did you use for Typhoon Bordeaux?

Q

Comments (1)
    I used accent rows of Sonoma tile, in the tantrum line. They have some really nice colors that pick up the granite colors. My basic tiles are off white crackle subway. I'll post pictures when I figure out how to.
    ...See More
  • aliris19
    12 years ago

Hi Peach -- I'm putting the url for your photos down below. When I go there I get a slide show which is a little confusing in terms of nailing down what I'm supposed to be looking at and evaluating. Not that I've much to offer; I know little about color and marbles.

What's "TB"? Sorry! Is that supposed to be "TC" for 'Tea Chest'?

I mean no offense whatsoever, but I am having a really hard time following all the color names and what you are asking. Mostly this is just me as I am not decorating-oriented. But it's also possible others are a little confused about this as well, accounting for their relative quiet.

Oh wait "TB" probably means "Typhoon Bordeaux", which is the granite I think.... Just trying to show you my confusion-process. I was reading the thread itself and forgot the title part...

Do you know about the backsplash section in starpooh's collection of finished photos? Maybe perusing this link will be helpful to you: http://finishedbacksplashes2.blogspot.com/

Maybe a paint-oriented person has something more to say. Is there any way you can think about tile color in conjunction with hall color? Or transition the tile coloring so that it matches better with the hall in sections where the hall will be visible?

But in the end, if you've too much of one color and it's impossible to make work with other colors, maybe that does need reevaluating if possible. Or accessorizing. Also not my department, for sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach's backsplash

• davidro1
    12 years ago

many photos seem to be before and not after.

switching from slide show mode to gallery mode didn't help me much.

make it simple and I can comment on something.

as far as I'm concerned, the eye can get used to any three colors that sort of go together.

• vitamins
    12 years ago

Peach,

Can you figure out how to just post a couple of pictures of your kitchen so that it will be less confusing? I, too, find the slide show confusing, but I do like your granite very much. I think you might get more help if you are able to put the pictures in your message.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Check out this thread for help on posting:

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQs - thanks Buehl!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Hi Peach,

I would totally disregard the wall colors when choosing your tile. You will probably change your wall color long before you change your back splash. My suggestion is to find something that works with the cabinets/counter and yet is neutral enough that it can handle a variety of paint colors.

In my case, I was all set to go with a "stingray" colored tile. It looked awesome with my bianco antico. And then it dawned on me...I might want more flexibility with my color pallette down the road. The BA certainly can go with so many colors, I didn't want my BS to rule how I had to decorate.

I ended up with the perfect tile for my space...White Beveled Arabesque tiles. I can't imagine my kitchen with anything else.

good luck.

-Bee

(I didn't look at the photos you linked, but you should read Buehl's "Read Me if You're New Thread", in there are directions on how to post photos directly into your question. That often will get more of a response. Sometimes people don't care to click away from GW)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Peach,

Saw your call for help on another thread. I also found the photos confusing. If you could paste in a couple in the e-mail per the instructions folks have posted above, I think you'd get more help. TB is a pretty granite!

Stick around. You'll like it here. :)

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Hi Peach, I'll be in the same boat soon. Our TB gets installed on Friday!!! I'll be watching to see what you chose, and I'll post too.
    Good luck!

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I will get some better pics up tomorrow. Although, we may have a winner already. Terragreenceramics.com has a beautiful crackled tile in a 3x6 called "Celadon." Stay tuned!

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the confusion on 'slide.com' I've tried to make it more user friendly. I read the 'how to' on posting pics within my message but don't have time to do it right now. The first 3 pics on slide.com are OLD. Everything else is NEW. You can slow it down or speed it up, just use the +/-buttons or the pause button. Every pic has a caption now. THANKS!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach's Kitchen

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

I like your bs choice! Very nice, and your TB is a perfect specimen of TB! Hope mine looks as beautiful. Anxiously awaiting your pics.
    Are you tiling up to the upper cabs?
    Everything looks great!

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi sandesurf - Still have to narrow it down to ONE backsplash choice--leaning towards the darker one--Celadin. It's a gorgeous antique-crackle finish that blends perfectly with the TB and paint color. I also believe it will make the cabinets stand out more than any of the cream ones. But, I love my cream ones, too. :) And they would not limit my paint color choices down the road. The cell phone pics don't do any of the tiles justice. You will LOVE your TB! What color are your cabinets, walls, floors,etc.? Yes, I'm am tiling up to the upper cabs and I am going with a subway (3x6) tile in a brick pattern. What are you thinking of for yours?

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Hi peach: getting photoshop to take your pictures one at a time is more intimidating than it is hard. Please, it's worth a moment's quiet time to get it to work.

Wish I could give more advice. Colors are so not my thing....

But at least this will serve to bump you! :-)

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Hi Peach, Here's a picture of what it looks like today:

Just heard from the granite people. They'll be there at 7am tomorrow!!!! This is our vacation/retirement home 5 hours away, but we'll be there about 10am, and get to show them where to put the faucet holes!!(Blanco Silgranite in Bicuit, with ORB Delta faucet) I won't be able to post pictures until our return, on Sunday. Then, I'll be looking at BS more seriously. I'm also thinking cream subway tiles, with some sort of "something" else?? LOL Maybe a pencil line of dk. brown, or even a starting row of tile in dk. brown, with cream on top, or a small medalion piecies scattered here than there??

I like your darker tile choice, but it looks a little too close to our floor color.

If only our all problems were these type of choices, right?
    Good luck!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I rather like the twine color

• skeetie219
    12 years ago

I have TB counters w/ backsplash. I used tumbled travertine 3x2/durango and a row of 4x4 honed/filled for the first row/closet to the coutner with a pencil liner.

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

oh skeetie...pictures please!

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd like to see them, too, Skeetie. Sandesurf--good luck w/the install! Post pics afterwards. Remodelfla--Twine is a favorite of mine, too.

I'm trying to post some pics here, as suggested.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Ooh! Peach! Good work on posting the pictures. I was just going to go try your slide site (I was too sleepy earlier :) ).

It's really hard to see color in pictures, but from what shows up on my monitor, I like the color second from right on the third picture down from the top. It has a lot of warmth and should tie in well with both the counters and the cabinets. If you need more contrast, I'd go toward the cream square. I'd be concerned that the grayish tiles will be too cool and sad with the rest of your finishes.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Peachy!!

And I'm guessing maybe you like the color too? I agree, 2nd from the right. Only ... is the +/- 3" x 6" tile on the bottom two pictures the same as that shaped one on the third-from-the-top picture? If so, my monitor is showing serious color shifting. Plus, it could be also that there's a huge difference between horizontal and vertical placement. That's one thing I learned in looking at colors, the color chips looked *totally* different when in horizontal from vertical orientation. So frustrating!

I like the way the slight rosey-tinge ties everything together. Maybe you can see that formulation better IRL?

Nice floor!

• efc54
    12 years ago

Sorry, OT sandesurf, but where did you get your counter stools? They look very comfortable.

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Dang, I like all of them! What is the color of the long tile? 3X6? I agree, it looks different in the different pictures. This is going to be very, very hard to choose, isn't it?...

efc, Those stools are from JC Pennys. They are comfy, and the only style that will fit in our space, as the sliding door is right in that walkway, next to the counter. I've also seen them at Kohl's. Very inexpensive! :)

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad I made you proud, Aliris. :) The 2x6 (only non-square one) is GP Hamptons Beige from Walker Zanger. I'm not sure what you mean by horizontal vs. vertical because I only posted pics of it horizontally. ?? Anyway, going to post some more that I took this morning w/my cell phone but they are not much better. Dang dead camera batteries. It would take better pics. I am surprised that no one is leaning towards the darkest one, "Celadon." Beautiful green that is in the granite with brown specks the exact color of the paint....would really show up next to the cabinets......no? Ok, my 4 friends who came over might be wrong. I admit I am afraid of the room becoming too cave-like and love my creams. The items sitting on the counters in front of the backsplash would add pops of color, too...it won't be a blank sea of cream. Deciions decisions

• efc54
    12 years ago

sandesurf, thank you! I'm always sort of taken aback by the prices of stools. One more expense when you thought you'd finished!

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi again, everyone! Sandesurf--saw the TB installed. Looks great!! I am posting more pics and asking for your help in choosing either a "light" or "dark" backsplash. Now that the floor is finished, it is a little easier to tell (hopefully) which direction I should go in. It is too hard with pics to pick an exact color, but what are your thoughts regarding lighter vs. warmer (darker) for the backsplash area? I still love the creams with this granite, but some people think the lighter cabinets need a warmer backsplash. Thanks!!!!

• caryscott
    12 years ago

I'm a "no" on the dark one that matches the granite. With the relatively dark colour on the walls I would go for something to contrast the wall colour but blend with the cabinets. I'm thinking the twine but it really depends on what the colours look like in the space. I think the darker tile would work great if you had a contrasting wall colour. It can be useful when colour blocking a kitchen to thing about the relationships between vertical blocks(walls, back splashes and cabinetry) and horizontal blocks (counters and floors). In my opinion a light back splash will highlight your granite better than a dark one. It's very subjective.

In my Mom's kitchen we wanted to use the paint to "frame" the cabinetry runs so she used a back splash that blended with the cabinetry and contrasted the paint:

Certainly not the only way to go that would look nice but it has its' appeal.

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi peach..

I agree with caryscott...Voting for a light backsplash!

KA:)

• vitamins
    12 years ago

I, too, vote for a light back-splash. I'm not sure, however, which one would look the best, as it is hard to tell how true the colors are on my monitor.

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the help everyone! LOVE your mom's kitchen caryscott! I was not going to go as dark as the paint and try to match the backsplash to the paint, but rather introduce a warm neutral darker than cream that would look well w/the paint, cabinets and granite. Attaching pics that were my inspiration...at first. This is a friend's kitchen (same floor plan and same granite as me...although my TP has a lot more cream) and dark green walls. I love how hers turned out.

{{gwi:1886392}}

{{gwi:1886394}}

{{gwi:1886396}}

• caryscott
    12 years ago

It's a beautiful kitchen. For me I think if you take the back splash light it will high-light the granite more. When the back splash is a similar registration to the granite they tend to work more as one piece visually. I also think what really pops in the kitchen you posted is the cabinetry because all the other elements have very similar depth of colour. Nothing wrong with that just not my preference.

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Agreed. Now that I have decided on lighter, should the backsplash be even lighter than the cabinets--or match the cabinets? I currently have samples (final will be a 3x6 subway crackle) that would do either and they also blend well with the granite. A popular choice for TB has been "Butter crackle" by Sanoma. I am attaching pics of what I have so far. L-R are: Beige, Butter, Candlelight, Toast, Twine and Vanilla. I think Twine is too gray and I think Vanilla is too yellow. I think Toast is the closest to the cabinets. Beige, Butter or Candlelight would appear lighter than the cabinets when up...I think. Thanks!!

• Laura Weller
    12 years ago

I would do lighter, in a diamond pattern with dark accents. Then you pick up so much in your beautiful granite. They overall effect will be light, but it will have interest.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Hi Peach - I meant placement of the tiles (or paint chips), horizontal on the counter surface or vertical propped up against it.

I think we aren't getting the benefit of the green color on our monitors.

I like your drawer hardware.

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lauraxx...that sounds intriguing, especially the diamond pattern! Someone at a tile store actually recommended using light with accent tiles, too. Pics below. The tumbled stone is not sealed yet, obviously, so it would be darker. I could go with either a dark red accent tile or a dark green--both are prominent in the Typhoon Bordeaux. Or black. I'm not a big fan of tumbled stone with my granite, though. Would probably still want a smooth finish.

Thanks Aliris. I refaced the cabinets 8 years ago and got the hardware at a Home Depot Expo (I think).

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Oh my...so hard to choose! Hi Peach! Just walked in the door from our 5 hours drive from Lake Havasu. What do I do first? Come on GW! Is that sick or what?! LOL

As you can see from my picture, our walls are painted a light color, and we LOVE it, with the TB. I'm really reluctant to distract from the granite, because it's just so beautiful, all on it's own! Looking at your pics, I'm drawn to the 3X6 in your picture #4 (22). Does it go with your paint color though? The paint doesn't show in that picture.

I agree that there is too much going on in the tumbled stone. Too much to distract. I like the idea of the accent tiles though! I'm considering dark brown accents with a smooth cream tile. Maybe??? Probably a few months down the road. I'm not a big "cook", so not too worried about the walls getting dirty from my cooking! LOL

I'll be watching to see what you do. Good luck!!!

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

The Toast and the Twine looked very subdued....subtle...hard to be exact or definite re: color on my monitor vs. IRL. Originally like the Celadon...but since you are going lighter - I vote for Toast or Twine- whichever goes with both the counter and the cabinets. As Beekeeper said- the walls are the least of your worries!

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SS--GW is more addicting than FB! :) If you don't want/need a backplash, then seriously consider not putting one in. I am having a design consultation this week with some ladies I have used before. Want their input on which color cream backplash and what color to paint the molding and trim. My guys went with white because I have a "white" popcorn (ugh) ceiling, but I think it's too stark w/the dark brown.

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

beachpea3, forgot to say "Thanks" in my rush to leave for work this morning. I appreciate ALL feedback! I know--it's very hard to tell the true colors on our monitors. I'll report back after my color consult tomorrow. Anxious to see what they think of my samples IRL.

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Hi Peach, any decisions yet? I'm waiting to see. :)
    My husband wants to live with it for awhile, before we look at tile. I'm not sure how long I can wait! lol I'm the type that likes to get things finished. He has about 10 projects going on, that never get finished. Drives me nuts!

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi! The decorator's first choice was the hand-made, matte tile by Ceramica Alhambra. The color is "Trigo" (on the left in the following pics). It was actually the very first tile sample that I brought home from Walker Zinger. Her second choice (on the right) is "Toast" crackle by Sonoma Tilemakers. I would get it in a 3x6. The Trigo comes in a 3x6 but it is beveled, which I love but it does raise the price. Anyone out there have any opinion/experience with a beveled BS? It also comes in the standard 4x4 and there is a 2x4, as well. I have actually fallen in love with the smooth, matte finish and it is a nice "new texture" against the shiny granite. Opinions?? Thanks!!

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Sorry, still no help. I like both of them! I just ordered some samples of crema marfil, 3X6, in both honed and polished.
    Are both your samples "polished"? The one on the left looks less shiny.

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like Crema Marfil, too. Bursa Beige marble is also nice. I have a sample of the Crema Marfil polished but the sample (all they had) is the small (5/8 x 5/8) mosaic. I'd like to see it in a subway.

The one on the left is matte. The one on the right is crackle. I'm as confused as ever!

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Hi again,
    I just looked up those tiles, on the Sonoma Web site. The crackle has a lot more texture look, than your pictures show. I'm liking the mat finish better.
    When I get the Marfil sample I'll post a picture.

• marieskit
    12 years ago

New to this, and am trying to read through all the TB posts! Have been looking at Irish Ice Tipperary for field tile with our TB and with ebony cabinets. BUT, have also ordered (much to my husband's dismay), a wine-colored glossy tile that would bring out the reds in the TB. May I ask which color you decided upon? Thanks!

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Marieskit -- I haven't picked one yet! See my other post, "Peach's Typhoon Bordeaux...." I have a sample of the Tipperary, also. It's pretty but I am afraid of anything with the slightest bit of pattern to it. With your dark cabinets, I would go with a creamy crackle (saw your other post). I love the reds in the TB, too, but am going with red accessories instead of red tile. Let me know what you decide!