SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Quick poll please: should sink bump out angle or be square?

theresse
13 years ago

This is one of the questions I asked on a longer thread but due to a lot going on lately I haven't had time to respond to that thread YET! So I apologize for being redundant; I have to give an answer sooner than I thought, to my contractor.

It's a 1913 combo colonial-revival/craftsman house w/ mostly original details. The kitchen has lots of built-ins. There's only one 14'- long counter w/ two windows and sink in the middle of it (tall cabinets on either side of sink).

We're redoing the lower cabinets (just the faces in some places) and adding a dishwasher to the left of the sink so for the sake of symmetry we're going to bump out not just the traditional sink in the center only, but the two spaces on either immediate side of the sink as well (24" wide on each side of the sink).

For an older house - specifically one built in the teens - would the bump-out edges (corners) look better being just straight squares or angled? Would squares (90 degrees) be painful to accidentally bump into e.g. in your hip? What's more period-appropriate, if anything (considering kitchens were only starting to have built-ins at that time in history)?

This will be a stainless counter (pretending to be zinc - haha) w/ white Shaws farm sink and wall-mounted gooseneck faucet...and probably marble 2x6 subway tile behind it. Wood floors.

Thanks so much!

p.s. below is attached photo of the demo'd counter area, if you can imagine it. The island's top will be replaced w/ butcher block and the pot rack and light in ceiling will be replaced (also new light above windows).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of area where the counter will be (now demo'd)

Comments (5)